Bio: Sprenger, Anton and
Surnames: Sprenger, Singer, Berres, Schaetzl, Eder, Dorfschmidt, Berhmann, Felzkowski, Morrison, Switlick, Guralski, Stephany
----Source: 1880 - 1980 Rietbrock, Marathon Co., Wis. Centennial, pg. 51 - 52
In the early 1870's, the immigrants traveled through a lot of heavily wooded areas finding a place to settle to their liking.
Anton and Gertrude (Singer) Sprenger were one of the families that settled on a tract of land, Section 15, now the Charles Riehle, Jr. farm (Formerly Raymond Berres). All their children were born in the old country, but they had all died before they left for this country with the exception of two, namely: Joseph and Gertrude (Schaetzl).
Joseph, who later married Ursula Eder, settled on the former F.P. Weigand farm. They had 9 children: Mary (dec.) Catherine (Dorfschmidt), Ann (Berhmann), Caroline (dec.), Celia (dec.), Helen (Felzkowski), William, Elizabeth (Morrison), and Joseph (dec.) After the death of Anton, Ursula farmed with the children; she later sold the land to Joseph and William. In later years, Joseph sold the homestead to William and Marie (Switlick) Sprenger. They lived here for 43 years. In 1978, they sold the land to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Guralski, Jr., and the dwelling was sold to Thomas and Jean Stephany. William and Marie Sprenger are retired and now live at Jenson St. at Athens, Wisconsin.
1900 Federal Census, ED 94 Rietbrock town, Marathon, Wisconsin, United States, pg. 7, family 127
Anton Springer, white male
marital status: Married
years married: 41
estimated marriage year: 1859
father's birthplace: Germany
mother's birthplace: Germany
immigration year: 1882
head Anton Springer M 68 (Apr 1832) Germany
wife Gertrude Springer F 67 (Jan 1833) Germany, mother of 8 children, 2 living
son Joseph Springer M 37 (Jun 1863) Germany
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs