Frank (1837 - 1900)
Surnames: JARVIS CANNON
----Sources: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 11/29/1900
Jarvis, Frank (28 NOV 1837 - 21 NOV 1900)
Frank Jarvis was born of French parents near Montreal, Lower Canada, Nov. 28th, 1837; when but 11 years of age came into Upper Canada, where he remained a year or thereabouts, then made his way to the sea coast and entered service on a sailing vessel, and followed a sea faring life until he was 17 years of age. He visited many foreign ports and was once shipwrecked off the coast of Australia, near Melbourne. When 17 years of age he made his way to Wisconsin, locating at Grand Rapids. He ran the Wisconsin River from this point a couple of years, then went to LaCrosse and followed a raftsman’s life on the Mississippi until the breaking out of the Rebellion.
He enlisted in Co. B. 2nd Wis. Cavalry, Oct. 17, 1861, and served with his regiment until mustered out Nov. 15th, 1865, four years and one month, lacking just two days.
Shortly after the war he came to Neillsville, Clark County, Wis., and went into the woods for his late captain, Thomas J. La Flesh, with whom he was always a prime favorite. On Aug 31, 1874, he was united in marriage at Neillsville, with Miss Annis Cannon of Loyal, who with their six children survive him.
In 1875 he took up a homestead in what is now the town of Green Grove, Clark Co., on which he moved in the spring of 1876, and resided there until 1885, when he sold the homestead and moved into the village of Colby.
Mr. Jarvis was a kindly, genial gentleman, strictly honest in all his dealings, was highly respected by his acquaintances, and his sudden death is deeply deplored by all, and his sorrowing family have the sympathy of the entire community.
The funeral was held Friday from the M. E. Church, Rev. G.E. Vischer officiating.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs