Obit: Hawley, John
Lucius (1868 - 1934)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Hawley, Dutcher, Hannah, Neverman, Trentel, Hendrickson, Hoffman, Wersgerber, Browne
----Sources: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 3 Jan. 1935
Hawley, John Lucius (12 Feb. 1868 - 25 Dec. 1934)
Though he was not in the best of health, Greenwood and community were shocked Christmas night to hear of the death of John Hawley, who passed away very suddenly at his home at 8 o’clock p.m., after spending a Happy Christmas Day with his family.
John Lucius Hawley was born in Oshkosh, Wis., February 12, 1868, in which vicinity most of his life was spent until growing to manhood. On January 1, 1893, he was married to Lena Dutcher, of Stockbridge, Wis., who survives him. He is, too, survived by four children, Mrs. Ernest Hannah, Mr. Dale Hawley and Mr. Milton Hawley, all of Greenwood, Wis., and Mrs. Cyril Neverman of Tomahawk, Wis. There are also thirteen grandchildren and two sisters, Mrs. Louis Trentel of Wausau, Wis., and Mrs. Earl Hendrickson of Moline, Ill.
In 1900, he came to Clark County settling on a farm in the town of Weston, where he resided 19 years, when he moved onto a farm in the town of Loyal, living there until coming to the city of Greenwood in 1930, where he has since lived. He was a member of the Modern Woodman lodge of which he has been in good standing since 1910.
Mr. Hawley was most successful in his business, which was farming was of a kindly, genial temperament and a friend and neighbor to all who knew him. He will be greatly missed in Greenwood and community. The funeral was held at his late home Saturday, December 29.
Those from out of town to attend the service were, Mrs. H. W. Hoffman and son, Berton, of Stockbridge, Wis., Mr. and Mrs. Trentel of Wausau, Wis., Mrs. W. M. Wersgerber of Oshkosh, Wis., and Mrs. M. J. Browne, of Sparta, Wis.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs