Bio: Leason Family
(6 June 1935)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Leason, Dux
----Sources: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 6 June 1935
Old Landmark Passes
An old north side landmark, the A. S. Leason and Son pump and windmill factory, built in 1880, was recently sold to William Dux and his brothers who last week completed wrecking the building. The old structure, erected by A. S. Leason and W. A. Leason, was a busy place in the early days, manufacturing wooden pumps, fanning mills, milk safes, water tanks, and windmills. After a few years W. A. Leason left the business to take up dentistry and E. R. Leason became associated with his father. The last wooden pump was manufactured about 25 years ago. Up to that time seven or eight men were employed in the factory and three salesmen on the road. Machinery for the plant when it was built was shipped to Marshfield, the nearest railroad point. The main street of Marshfield at that time was composed of sawdust, slabs and mud, and the crew sent to get the steam boiler were to days getting out of the city of Marshfield and about the same length of time hauling it to this city. The coming of the gasoline engine in later years gradually crowded out the demand for windmills and the business declined.
When A. S. Leason came from Hingham, Wis., where he had been manufacturing pumps, Neillsville was surrounded by wilderness and they often hunted for bear and deer a short distance behind the shop, in the direction of O’Neill creek. Mr. Leason’s death occurred in October, 1919.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs