Bio: Lantz, Peter
F. (1833 - 1910)
Contact: Lani Bartelt
----Sources: Family Records
Surnames: Lantz, Sheldon, Bogue, McCarty, Moody, Packard, McPherson
The Peter F Lantz Family
Peter F Lantz was born 13 Feb 1833 in Metz, near the Rhine in Germany to Mr.& Mrs. George Lantz. He came to the United States when he was only five years old, in 1838 where the family emigrated to Detroit, Michigan .His father was a stone mason and lived out his life in Detroit. Peter was schooled and raised in Detroit and began work as a young adult in farming.
On Jan 2, 1855 he was united in marriage to Mary J Sheldon. She was the daughter of Frederick Sheldon of CT. and was b 1 April 1833 in Onondago County, NY. They would have five sons: Perry .A. Lantz; George F. Lantz; Walter A. Lantz; and Bradley E Lantz who would grow to manhood. Another son, John A. died at one year of age.
Perry lived in Newaygo Co., Michigan and married Ellen Bogue They would have three children: Charles D; Claude E; and Maud P (twins); George E lived in Vancouver, WA., and married Ellen McCarty; they would have two children: Charles H and Bessie L; and Walter, a printer by occupation married Florence L Taylor and they lived at 23 Whipple St.
Peter F Lantz fought in the Civil War in Co D of the 24th Mich. Inf. enlisting on 7 Aug 1862 and discharged 4 June 1863 with a disability. In his ten months of service he never received a wound but was otherwise disabled with rheumatism and bronchitis for which he drew a pension. He was in the following battles: Fredericksburg, Port Royal, and Front Royal.
In June of 1889 the 24th Michigan Regiment survivors met in Detroit and traveled to Gettysburg where monuments were placed on the battlefield to remember the place where their comrades fell. Excerpt from Survivors of the Iron Brigade in 1904 Lantz, Peter F., Private, Thorp, Wis., Moody, John, Corporal, 71 Smith Ave., Detriot, Mich., Moon, Fernando W., Private. Belleville, Mich. Packard, George L.
A few years ago the Second Massachusetts Infantry erected on Culp's Hill, where it fought, a monument to its dead. The plan thus originated, of marking with monuments, the posit1ions of regiments on that battlefield, was first adopted by that State, and soon other States emulated the good example, until 300 monuments may be seen on the field, erected by the States under the auspices of the "Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association," who have purchased sites and avenues along the battle lines. In 1887, the Michigan Legislature appropriated $20,000 for the erection of its monuments there. Colonel Geo. G. Briggs (Seventh Michigan Cavalry), Lieutenant George W. Crawford (Sixth Michigan Cavalry) and Lieutenant Peter Lennon (Fifth Michigan Infantry), were appointed a commission by the Governor to expend the appropriation. They paid $2,500 to the Battlefield Association for a conveyance of all privileges needed to protect Michigan's interests on the field. They served without compensation and were able to set apart $1,350 to each of the eleven regiments for its monument, $1,000 to the battery and $500 to the four sharpshooter companies.
In the spring of 1889 the monuments were completed and located as follows: First Infantry, between the Wheatfield and Emmetsburg Road; Third Infantry, in the Peach Orchard; Fourth Infantry, in the Wheatfield; Fifth Infantry, in the woods west of the Wheatfield; Seventh Infantry, near the Clump of Trees where Pickett charged; Sixteenth Infantry and Sharpshooters, on Little Round Top; Twenty-fourth Infantry, in McPherson's Woods (now called Reynolds' Grove); Battery I, on Cemetery Ridge; and the First, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Cavalry, east of the town where the cavalry fight occurred. The monument of the Twenty-fourth Michigan is situated in the western part of McPherson's Woods, where its first battle line was formed after driving the remnant of Archer's Brigade across Willoughby Run. It is quite elaborate and compares favorably with the other monuments.
Upon the completion of the monuments, Governor Luce invited representatives of the Michigan organizations engaged in the battle, to meet at Lansing on March 27, 1889, to arrange for their dedication. Hon. Robert E. Bolger, O. B. Curtis, Chaplain Wm. C. Way and Gurdon L. Wight attended on behalf of the Twenty-fourth Michigan. Governor Luce presided. Wednesday, June 12th, 1889, was selected for "Michigan Day at Gettysburg." The Governor appointed the following committees: Program --Generals L. S. Trowbridge, B. R. Pierce and S. S. Mathews. Flowers -- O, B. Curtis, Wilbur Howard and Captain H. N. Moore. Transportation -- General S. B. Daboll, Colonels E. C. Fox and F. E. Farnsworth. Legislation -- General B. F. Partridge, O. B. Curtis and Robert E. Bolger.
The legislature appropriated $8,000 for the dedication, $5,000 of which was to be devoted to the transportation of the Michigan survivors of the battle. The share of the Twenty-fourth Michigan was inadequate, and as it was Detroit's regiment whose enlistment redeemed the good name of the city in its darkest hour, it was resolved to ask the citizens to aid its regiment to revisit the field on which they had won an honored name for themselves and their city. The responses were generous and, with the sum received from the appropriation, sufficient to furnish free transportation to all the survivors of the regiment who fought there The following survivors of the Twenty-fourth Michigan attended the Dedication of the Monuments at Gettysburg, June 12, 1889:
Amos Abbott, James V. Bartlett, Robert C. Bird, O.B. Curtis, Draugott Haberstrite, Almon J. Houston, James H. Johnson, William H. Jackson, Jacob Kaiser, Samuel R. Kingsley, Jr., Henry H. Ladd, Peter F Lantz, Fernando W. Moon, George E. Moore, Robert Polk, John Renton, James Renton, Henry W. Randall
After the war Peter returned to farming and worked for a while in Detroit. He moved to Longwood Clark Co, Wisconsin in March of 1882 and purchased sections 27 and 28 range 2 west where he owned eighty acres of which twenty-five were cleared.
In 1900 he and his wife sold their farm to Edward BOwen, Wis. The following article is from the Greenwood Gleaner 9-7-1900
P. F. Lantz and wife were down from Longwood Tuesday making out papers whereby they have sold their farm to Edward Bowen who owns the Sawyer farm. Mr. Bowen and sons were also down. Now the proper thing for Mr. L. to do is to make himself and wife a cozy home here in Greenwood. He’ll be sure of a pleasant town to dwell in and of having genial comrades to talk over war times with to his hearts content.
Peter Lentz died at his home in Thorp, Clark Co, WI on 16 June 1910. He was ill for a long time and was 77 years 4 months and 3 days old. His wife, Mary and the four sons mentioned above survived him. Peter & Mary were married 45 years. Mary d 27 Dec 1915 and is buried with Peter. Funeral services were held with Rev J.B. Bachman officiating and Peter was buried at the Thorp Village Cemetery, Clark Co, WI.
The following Lentz family members are buried at Thorp Village Cemetery:
Mary Jane Lantz b 1 April 1833 d 27 Dec 1915. Husband Peter F Lentz m 2 Jan 1855 father Frederick Sheldon
Peter F Lantz b 7/13 Feb 1833 d 16 June 1910 wife Mary Jane Sheldon M 2 Jan 1855 Father George Lantz
Peter F. Lantz is also featured in the book, "Civil War Soldiers in the heart of Clark Co., Wisconsin."
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.