Anton C. (1867 - 1937)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Martin, O’Hara, Petersen, Rafftery, Vaughn, Haugen, Longenecker
----Sources: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 9 Dec. 1937
Martin, Anton C. (17 March 1867 - 4 Dec. 1937)
Major A. C. Martin Dies December 4
Prominent in Civic and Military Circles in Neillsville
Major Anton C. Martin, long a leader in military affairs and prominent in business and civic activities passes away suddenly early Saturday morning, Dec. 4th, at his home on South Clay street.
For a long time he had charge of the O. & N. Lumber company yard at Granton, driving home in the evening and back to his business in the morning. He worked Friday as usual, and although complaining on arrival home that he did not feel just right, he ate a good supper and went to bed at the usual hour. He asked for the electric pad to relieve pain between his shoulders and went to sleep.
About one o’clock a.m. Mrs. Martin noticed him turning off the current on the pad, and on inquiring; he stated that it had become too warm. Turning over on his side, he began to breathe so heavily as to alarm his wife, and on examination she found that he had apparently passed away. However, she summoned a doctor, but it was found that he was beyond medical help.
Anton C. Martin, son of Christopher and Dorothea Martin, was born in Norway, March 17, 1867. His father, who was a miner, died in 1868, and in 1873, his mother brought Anton to the United States and settled first at La Crosse, moving shortly after to Stevens Point. Two years later the mother married J. E Vanghn, a railroad contractor. Soon after, with her husband and son, she moved to Auburndale in Wood County, where Anton spent some years of his boyhood and attended school. At the age of 16 he left home and returned to Stevens Point, finding work in the mills, thus laying the foundation of his knowledge of the lumber business. In 1904, he was employed as manager of the R. Connor lumber yard at Granton for nine months, and then moved to Neillsville as the manager of the Connor lumber yard here.
In June, 1915, this business was bought by the Farmers Elevator Company, and Mr. Martin was retained as manager.
Mr. Martin first became interested in military matters Sept. 25, 1889, when he joined the National Guard at Marshfield. He was soon promoted to Sergeant, then to Second Lieutenant, and later to Captain. In 1897 he left the service, but re-enlisted when the Spanish-American war broke out and went as Second Lieutenant of Co. A., Second Wisconsin Volunteers, serving through the campaign in Porto Rico; at a subsequent re-organization of the company at Marshfield, he took command as captain, but resigned on coming to Neillsville, Wis.
In 1905, he became Second Lieutenant of Co. A, Third Infantry, W. N. G, at Neillsville and was promoted at captain and served with his regiment during the Mexican border mobilization and went into the World War in the spring of 1917. The company was sent to Two Harbors, Minnesota, then was brought to Camp Douglas about the middle of July, where Capt. Martin helped to re-organize and he was promoted to Major Headquarters, 107th Ammunition Train, and was sent to France as a part of the Thirty-second Division in January, 1918. There he was in active service the rest of the war, coming home in May 1919.
In July, 1920, he was appointed postmaster in Neillsville and served until October, 1929, a position in which his efficiency and courtesy met the general approval of the patrons. Through his activity, the free delivery system in Neillsville was established. After completing his service as postmaster, he went back to his position in the lumber yard at Granton; then to Marshfield, the fall of 1933, returning to O. & N. yard in Granton in May, 1934, retaining this position until his death.
As a military man, Major Martin was efficient and courageous; as a business man, civil officer he was equally competent and courteous; but was never afraid to speak his mind and was impatient with all forms of dishonesty and unfair dealing. His life was a fine example of high citizenship!
Mr. Martin was married May 25, 1891, to Miss Kate O"Hara of Killbourn, now Wisconsin Dells, who survives him. He leaves also one daughter, Dorothy, Mrs. Austin Petersen of Whitefish Bay, Wis., and one granddaughter, Jean Petersen, a freshman in high school; also a sister Mrs. E. F. Rafftery of Madison, and brother, J. D. Vaughn of Los Angeles, California.
Major Martin was a member of the American Legion in Neillsville, Veterans of Foreign Wars in Marshfield, the Spanish War Veterans, the Free Masons and Odd Fellows, and Modern Woodmen.
The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at the Congregational church in Neillsville, Rev. G. W. Longenecker officiating. The Otto A. Haugen Post, American Legion, took part in the ceremony and a firing squad from the Veterans of Foreign Wars from Marshfield did military honors at the grave.
Burial took place in Neillsville cemetery.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.