Obit: Lamont, Almira C. (1847 - 1915)
Contact:  Stan

Surnames: LAMONT GAULT WICKER PATTERSON SULLIVAN NILES COOK

----Sources: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 09/23/1915

Lamont, Almira C. (20 SEP 1847 - 19 SEP 1915)

It was with profound sorrow, the old friends and neighbors of Mrs. Almira Lamont learned last Sunday morning, that after a long season of suffering, death had finally triumphed and a reat and good woman had passed to the great beyond.

Almira C. Gault was born in the town of Greece, N.Y., Sept. 20th, 1847. While still a small child she moved with her parents to Goblesville, Mich., where she grew to young womanhood. She was united in marriage to Angus Lamont at Bloomingdale, Mich., Sept. 20th, 1866 and the enxt year moved to Wisconsin, settling at Pensaukee, near Green Bay, where Mr. Lamont was engaged in the lumber business for several years. She came to Colby in 1874, her husband locating about 2 ½ miles south of the city, which ahs been her residence up until a few months ago, when the responsibilities of the farm were turned over to her son William, and she came to live with her daughter, Mrs. D.E. Sullivan in this city.

The life just ended has been a very useful one. All through the early struggles she has been a faithful wife and in every undertaking was the proper helpmeet to her husband. She gave to the world a large family of children and applied herself to the duties of home and family. While she numbered her friends by the score, loved company, and enjoyed the association of her acquaintances, she would not sacrifice her home duties for those of the outside world. Her life stands out as a shining example to those who wish to make the most of life.

During her life she enjoyed good health. On Oct. 15, 1910, her husband was taken from her and on account of their close association during their married life, it came as a very hard blow to her, and while she still was surrounded by her family, there was one thing missing and from that time on her health began to fail. About eighteen months ago she was taken quite seriously with paralysis, from which she never fully recovered. Every attention was given her. The recurrence of the attacks gradually became more severe until she could no longer stand the strain - she close her eyes to earth, and opened them in a brighter and better world.

She leaves a large family of children, John F., Wausau; Wm. D., Colby; Mrs. J.H. Wicker, Parrish; Mrs. T. H. Patterson, Fifield; Chas., Unity; Mrs. D. E. Sullivan, Colby; Ronald, Cheyenne, Wyo.; Angus and Earl of this city, all of whom were here during the last hours, except Ronald who was unable to reach her in time. She also leaves one brother, John Gault of Goblesville, Mich., who was at her deathbed, and two sisters, Mrs. A.E. Niles and Mrs. E. Cook of Goblesville, Mich., who were unable to be present.

The outside relatives, other than the sons, daughters and brother, who were here to attend the funeral, were: Mrs. J.F. Lamont, Wausau; Howard Wicker, Parrish; T.H. Patterson and children, Fifield, and Mrs. J.N. White, Rhinelander.

The funeral was held from the residence of her daughter, Mrs. D.E. Sullivan. A large number of people came to pay their last respects and amid a profusion of beautiful flowers they looked upon what remained of all that was mortal of the good woman. The ladies choir sang "Save in the arms of Jesus" and "Jesus, Lover of My Soul", and after a prayer by Rev. Braddick the Eastern Star, of which order she had long been a member, took charge. Their services at the grave were very impressive.

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE