Child (1899 - 1903)
Contact: Lani Bartelt
----Sources: Marathon County Register Newspaper (Unity, Clark Co., WI.) Nov 27,1903
Simmons, Child (1899 - 1903)
Child Meets Death in Burning Building
The shocking news was received here Tuesday afternoon that the farm home of W. W. Simmons of the town of Beaver had been consumed by fire and their youngest child aged four years had perished in the flames.
Subsequent inquiry revealed the fact that the report was only too true.
Mr. Simmons was at Butternut at the time and during his absence. Mrs. Simmons had been doing the chores, about noon on Tuesday, (and) she had gone to the barn to do the usual chores, leaving the child playing in the house and everything apparently all right, as she started to return to the house about twenty minutes latter (later) she discovered flames bursting from every window and door.
After several frantic efforts to enter the burning building she was compelled to give up and stand by while the firey (fiery) fiend finish its’ horrible work.
The sad news was immediately telegraphed to Mr. Simmons who arrived the next evening on the limited.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.