Mr./Mrs. J. L. (Golden - 1938)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
----Sources: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 8 Sept. 1938
-Kleckner, Mr./Mrs. J. L. (Golden - 4 Sept. 1938)
Sunday marked the Golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Kleckner of this city, but due to Mr. Kleckner’s health, the original plan to celebrate the occasion in the former home of Mrs. Kleckner’s parents at Schoolcraft, Michigan, where they were married on September 4, 1888, had to be abandoned. It has been their good fortune to visit that home almost every year since their marriage, the house and furnishings being kept intact.
At the time of their marriage Mr. Kleckner was in the grocery business at Schoolcraft. Later he entered the grain business at Edwardsburg and also held a position as cashier in a bank. For 14 years he followed the grain and real estate business in Chicago. In 1909 he was advised by his physician to leave the city and he and Mrs. Kleckner and their two sons came to Clark County and located on a farm south of Neillsville, Wis. After farming for a few years, he again entered the grain business and established two elevators in this city. He operated them for many years with the assistances of his sons, Everett and Alfred. When his health again failed, the businesses were merged and Mr. Kleckner began to take life a little easier.
Mr. Kleckner served Neillsville as Mayor from 1916-1918. Both he and Mrs. Kleckner are splendid citizens, their civic pride and interest in the finer things of life has been far reaching in the community.
The occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary was observed quietly in their home on West Fifth Street, a few neighbors and friends dropping in during the day to extend congratulations and best wishes and to present the couple with a number of beautiful bouquets.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs