George W. (1858 - 1931)
Contact: Lani Bartelt
Surnames: Curtis,Thompson, Williams, Marvin, Lawrence. Grether
----Sources: Humbird Enterprise Newspaper (Humbird, Wis.) Aug. 8, 1931
Curtis, George W. (18 Feb. 1858 - 25 July 1931)
George W. Curtis, proprietor of the Curtis Hotel in this city, and one of our very highly respected citizens, died very suddenly and peacefully from hardening of the arteries at 5 o’clock a. m. Saturday, July 25th after a comparatively mild illness of several days.
George William Curtis was born in Garden Valley, Jackson county, Wis., on Feb. 18, 1858, the son of William Deleplan Curtis and Mary Thompson, descendants of Captain Israel Curtis of the revolutionary war.
Hotel business engaged his entire adult life. When a boy his initial experience was in the construction cooking camp of the Wisconsin Central railroad, where after he served with distinction as manager of some of the leading hotels in the northwest, including The Spaulding, at Duluth; and The Tower, of Superior.
The National Hotel association adopted Mr. Curtis’ copyrighted accountancy system which contributed to general hotel efficiency.
In the literary field his poems are registered in Poets of America.
Through the northwest and middle west, Mr. Curtis as a young man gained eminence as an athlete of great and versatile ability.
Many pioneers in the middle west have steadfastly remembered Mr. Curtis for his high standard of sportsmanship and his merit as a true citizen.
In September, 1886 the deceased was united in marriage with Nellie Naoma Williams. Five children were born to this wedlock, namely, Roy, who deceased in 1902; George William Curtis, Jr. of Wellsboro, Pa., where he is engaged in the gasoline and oil business; Frank, employed with the Baer Electric Shop, in this city; Theodore R. Curtis, coach and instructor in the Beaver Dam high school; Ralph, coach and instructor at Elmhurst (Ill) university;
Besides his widow and sons he is survived by his sisters, Mrs. Mary Marvin, of Fairchild; and Mrs. Margaret Lawrence, of Humbird.
Mr. Curtis came ot Sauk City with his family sixteen years ago, after having been in Prarie du Sac for three years.
He purchased what was then known as the U.S. Hotel and renamed it The Curtis. Under his able management, the building was remodeled, modernly equipped, and by his resourceful methods and good will toward his fellow men made it into a standard hostelry.
The funeral services were held from the residence here Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Geo. Grether, pastor of the First Reformed church, officiating. Interment was at the Sauk City cemetery
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.