Logging in Clark and Jackson Counties
Just a note to let you know where the logs went among other places:
Tower: In 1892, partners of a E.G. Boynton, Lumber Commission and Manufacturer’s Agent, 320 Main, La Crosse directly across the street from the Black River Improvement Company (the umbrella organization of all the Black River lumbermen), opened their lumber yard in North Greenfield (now West Allis) under the name of Tower & Taylor. La Crosse was the junction point of the Mississippi and Black Rivers. The fine stands of white pine in the sandy soil of the Black River valley offered some of the finest virgin timber of its time. Having access to this lumber and shipping available on the Chicago & Northwestern made coming into any developing area a potentially highly profitable extension of their business.
William Taylor came to La Crosse in 1851. His father served as mayor of La Crosse in 1858. His father-in-law, George Edwards (1818-1901) started the first lumber yard in La Crosse with James Vincent. He became interested in timber and logging and became the holder of many pine lands in the headwaters of the Black River Valley. The son-in-law, William Taylor formed Boynton & Taylor Lumber Company in 1891. B&T "established wholesale yards in Northern Wisconsin and retail yards at various points in Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. In 1897, the partnership with Boynton was dissolved and Mr. Taylor assumed control of the business." Mrs. Taylor died in Milwaukee in 1903, and Mr. Taylor at his summer home in Cashton in 1905.
They opened their yard just east of the station at what is now 81st and National, remaining there for 15 years. In 1899, Tower bought out his partners, and Taylor retired. Many houses built during this time still remain. Although many have disappeared, we can count from 8 to 20 houses constructed during each year that are still around.
In 1908, Tower moved his lumberyard further to the east along the railroad tracks. The new yard was on what was to become 1813 S.73rd Street, taking on a new partner, his son-in-law, Clarence Hubbard. Mr. Tower died in 1930, a few years after his retirement. Mr. Hubbard retired in 1946. He died in 1947.
With the new location also came delivery, first by horse drawn wagons and later by trucks. During the summer of 1949, the old office and sales room were torn down to make room for the new modern office, designed by Bill McPeek, who created the exterior plans. Linde & Schutte and Associates were the architects. Jezo Construction was the general contractor.
A fire causing $50,000 damage was discovered at 5:15 pm on Tuesday, January 22, 1957. Arson was suspected. The yard closed in 1966 or 1967. In April of 1967. J.D. Griffiths Company, a large northwest side garage builder, which had expanded to the lumber business in 1962 announced that they were going to open a second store and showroom at the former Tower Hubbard location.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.