Henry H. & Hilda (55th - 1942)
Surnames: HARTSON WELLEN BRACKETT JARDINE
----Sources: : Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wis.) 05/19/1942
Hartson, Henry H. & Hilda (55th - 15 MAY 1942)
Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Hartson, Greenwood (Clark Co., Wis.), celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary Friday, May 15, 1942, with a party at their home. Friends and relatives showered the couple with good wishes and gifts in observance of the day.
Mr. Hartson was born in Adams County, Wis., of Yankee parentage on July 24, 1856. Mrs. Hartson, nee Hilda Wellen, was born in Oslo, Norway, on April 18, 1867, and came to Whitehall when she was 5 years old.
After the wedding ceremony performed in Whitehall on May 15, 1887, the couple left for Clark County, where Mr. Hartson had resided since 1872, and where, from 1886 until 1888, he operated a stage line, carrying both mail and passengers between Neillsville and Withee.
At one time Mr. Hartson was engaged in the hardware business under the firm name of Justice and Hartson; later he published the Greenwood Gleaner, from 1892 to 1917, and served as postmaster from 1900 to 1917.
It was during his term as president of the school board, a position he held for 20 years, that the present school building was erected in Greenwood. From 1924 to 1931 he held the office of city treasurer.
He is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge and the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mrs. Hartson, who has been a member of the Order of the Eastern Star since 1904, served as worthy matron of that organization for five years. She has also been active in Presbyterian and Grace Methodist Church activities during her 55 years of residence in Greenwood.
Children of the couple are Mrs. L.E. (Ruth) Brackett, Cameron; Mrs. G.A. (Velma) Jardine, New Virginia, Iowa; Miss Marion Hartman, Des Moines, Iowa; Harry E. Hartson, Omaha, Neb.; Fred C. Hartson, Lyons, Calif.; and W.G. Hartson, Neillsville, Wis.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs