Obit: Kelly, Elizabeth (1866 -
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Kelly, Robb, Biegler, Graf, Meyers, Wesley
----Sources: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) Thurs., 24 April 1941
Kelly, Elizabeth (31 March 1866 - 18 April 1941)
Mrs. Thomas Kelly, a resident of Clark County since 1895, passed away at her home in this city Friday afternoon, April 18, 1941, after a brief illness. Though her health had not been good for a number of years, she retained an active interest in her home and family, in her church and in the social and civic life of the community.
Mrs. Kelly was born m arch 31, 1866, at Stratford, Ontario, Canada, the daughter of Samuel and Margaret Robb, her given name being Elizabeth. She grew to young womanhood in her native country where she learned the dressmaking trade. Being proficient in the art, she was urged by friends to come to Cleveland, Ohio.
On the 5th day of January, 1895, she was married to Thomas Kelly at Port Huron, Mich., she and Mr. Kelly having been childhood playmates in Canada. For a time after their marriage, they lived at Bay City, Mich. Later in 1895 they came to Neillsville, purchasing the stock and equipment of the Gustafson Dairy, located on what now is known as the Ring Stock farm. Two years alter they sold the business to his brother, Patrick Kelly. Living in Neillsville for a brief period while Mr. Kelly looked about for another farm, they soon purchased the stock on the Archer property three miles south of the city, renting the land. Together Mr. and Mrs. Kelly conducted their farm, Mr. Kelly also being on a group of farmers who built and carried on the Day Cheese factory. After three years Mr. and Mrs. Kelly decided to move to Neillsville, their sons having reached school age, with no educational facilities nearer than the city schools. Here they purchased the property which has been home to them since. For a time Mr. Kelly conducted a very successful livery business at the O’Neill House barn.
Mrs. Kelly was a splendid homemaker, every whit the pioneer type, in all things working harmoniously with her husband. "We were partners in everything we undertook," as Mr. Kelly put it. She was a member of St. Mary’s Catholic church of Neillsville, the Christian Mothers of that organization, a charter member of the American Legion Auxiliary aid a social member of Golden Lin Camp No. 78, Royal Neighbors of America.
The departed is survived by her husband, two sons, William A. Kelly and Frank J. Kelly, Seattle, Wash., an adopted daughter, Mrs. Marian Dowling, Lakehurst, N. J.; a brother, Dr. John Robb, Blind River, Ontario, Canada, and by nine grandchildren. A daughter, Margaret, preceded her in death a number of years ago.
Members of the Christian Mothers attended a Rosary service at the Kelly home Sunday, with Rev. Fr. Biegler leading. Funeral services were held at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, interment taking place in the Catholic Cemetery.
The sons arrived from the West to be with their mother during her last illness, remaining until after the funeral rites. Mr. and Mrs. Clem Graf, and Mr. and Mrs. Jos. Meyers, Eau Claire, and Mrs. Bert Wesley, Elk Mound, also were here for the services.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs