Church: Humbird -
Free Methodist (13 June 1936)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Aiken, Wolfe, Eberly, Bast, Baker, Short, Babler, Gormley, Thwing, Bolton, Turgeson, Howe, Hawley, Hills, Good, Pound, Peckham, Elmer, Kelin, Knaak, Wolfe, Kendall, Alderman, Jones
----Sources: Humbird Enterprise (Humbird, Clark County, Wis.) Sat., 13 June 1936
Dedicatory services for the new Free Methodist church were held at 2:30 last Sunday afternoon with a congregation which packed the church to the limit present. District Elder E. F. Aiken was in charge of the service, which opened with congregational singing. The invocation was given by Rev. E. A. Wolfe; Rev. W. J. Eberly read the scripture, Mr. Bast, of Wessington Springs College, sang an appropriate solo. The dedicatory sermon was delivered by Rev. F. L. Baker. At the close of the service the small remaining in debtedness on the church and parsonage property was pledged by the congregation present, the pledges to be paid by the middle of August. Several of the former pastors on the charge were present at the dedication.
The Fred Methodist congregation was organized in Humbird fifty years ago, and soon after its organization a church home was erected near where Mrs. Mary Babler’s house is located. This was destroyed by fire some fifteen years later when a lamp exploded. A new building was soon under construction on the lots east of the Maxon house, and arson is said to have taken this one before it was completed. Then E. N. Hawley was assigned to the charge, and he soon has a new church and parsonage erected. This building was consumed by fire on Tuesday evening, Jan. 22, 1935. The congregational found temporary quarters in the lodge hall over A. W. Short’s store. At the conference in the early fall of last year, W. J. Eberly was assigned to the field.
Things soon began to move! The Swedish Chapel in Fairchild was bought and the Carter property on King Street purchased. Part of the house was razed and the newer section remodeled into a parsonage. The chapel was moved here in sections and re-erected. Before holiday time both proper ties were occupied, and last Sunday dedicated, completed excepting plastering of the church basement.
Pastors, who have served the congregation, a
Re: Glen Gormley, E. Thwing, Chas. Bolton, J. Turgeson, G. Howe, E. N. Hawley, H. W. Hills, W. B. Good, G. L. Pound, J. K. Peckham, D. C. Elmer, C. F. Klein, A. E. Knaak, E. A. Wolfe (two appointments), J. W. Kendall, W. J. Eberly. Mrs. Eunice Alderman supplied and also J. J. Jones.
Rev. Eberly wishes to express his thanks and that of the conference to all who assisted in the construction of the property by donations of labor and otherwise, and also those who entertained the visitors to the district meeting, and assisted in setting the table for them.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs