Maria (1854 - 1897)
Surnames: DARLING O’NEILL COVILL
----Sources: NEILLSVILLE TIMES (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 04/08/1897
Darling, Maria (28 SEP 1854 - 1 APR 1897)
Mrs. Frank E. Darling died at the old home in this city (Neillsville, Clark Co., Wis.) on Thursday, April 1, 1897, of consumption, with other complications, age 42 years, 6 months and 4 days. The funeral was held Saturday, April 3rd, at 2 p.m., from the house, Rev. T.G. Owen speaking.
Deceased, whose maiden name was Maria O’Neill, was born in the older house which stood in the spot now occupied by the house in which she died, was married, there, and bother her children, Harry and Belle, were born there. She was the second daughter of the late James O’Neill, Sr., who was the founder of this city, and after whom it is named. So that, in a peculiar sense, this sweet-tempered patient, bright, good woman, who has now escaped from the pains of earth, was in a peculiar sense the daughter of the city. She was a favorite with everybody, and all were awed and grieved deeply at the suffering she was compelled to undergo.
Her parents and brother Thomas long since passed away, but her sister Belle (Mrs. Wils Covill) survives her, the only one left of the family. Deceased leaves the husband, and the two children, to mourn her loss and revere her memory.
She was born Sept. 28, 1854, was married in Nov. 1875, to Mr. Darling, and except a short time, when they lived on the north side, they have lived continuously at the old homestead in the center of the city.
Relatives from away who attended the funeral were: Mark Douglass and wife, Misses Libby and Mary Douglass, of Melrose, Robert Mason and wife of Black River Falls; Mrs. Addie Fraley of Eau Claire; and the sister, Mrs. Covill, who came from the Pacific Slope in time to speak a last work with the beloved one.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs