Obit: Allan, James
(1845 - 1932)
Surnames: ALLAN GUENTHER ROBINSON GREENWOOD WILCOX
----Sources: COLBY PHONOGRAPH (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 13 Oct 1932
Allan, James (18 Jan. 1845 - 1 Sept. 1932)
Judge James Allan, a former resident of the town of Hull where he owned and operated what is now the Anna Guenther farm, died Tuesday, September 1, 1932, in his late residence in Vienna, Virginia, and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors.
In the Cemetery, which is fifteen miles from Vienna, the procedure was as follows: After stacking arms at the grave a squad of soldiers advances and acted as pallbearers, the corporal being ahead and an officer and the bugler behind. After the usual service and prayer a volley of 21 shots was fired (seven guns), each three times, and taps were sounded. The grave is in a beautiful grove of magnolias and firs in the G.A.R. section of the cemetery.
Judge Allen was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., January 18, 1845, and at the opening of the Civil War enlisted in the 27th Wisconsin Volunteers, and served throughout the war. He was a member of the Wisconsin Legislature before moving to Vienna in 1907. He left the town of Hull twenty-seven years ago. He has held every office in the town of Vienna within the power of the electorate, serving four terms as mayor. He acted as Justice of the Peace of Providence District for many years. He belonged to the Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges in Wisconsin, and to the Lucius Fairchild G.A.R. Post N. 11 in Madison, Wis.
Last April 14 he and his wife, who survives, celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary. They were married in Sherman, Wis., 1870. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mathilda M. Allan, a sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Robinson; two daughters, Mrs. A. H. Greenwood and Mrs. F. A. Wilcox, 8 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs