Church: Curtiss -
Evangelical Lutheran Church - 50th Anniv. (28 July 1935)
Surnames: NORDBY THOMPSON RUED OSTENSON MERLAND REISHUS ODDEN ERICKSON LARSON ANDERSON
----Sources: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 07/25/1935
Curtiss Ev. Lutheran Church to Observe 50th Anniversary
The Curtiss Evangelical Lutheran church will celebrate the 50th anniversary of its foundation on Sunday, July 28th. Rev. H. P. Nordby, a former pastor, will preach the jubilee sermon at 10:30 A.M. Dinner will be served at noon by the Ladies’ Aid. The congregation was organized in 1885 by a small group of Norwegian pioneers who had settled in the forest of this community. Ole Thompson, Hoard, is the only charter member now living. Matt Rued, Fred Ostenson and Mrs. Margaret Merland are among the early members.
Services were held in the log school house of the Midway school district and later the Curtiss school building until 1898 when the first church was built. This building was destroyed by a tornado in June 1905. The present building was erected in 1907. Much praise is due Rev. T. Reishus, the pastor, of that period for his untiring efforts to rebuild the church.
The congregation had been a part mission charge until 1917, when Rev. H. P. Nordby, who then accepted the call, was chiefly responsible for making it a self supporting congregation.
During Rev. A. C. Odden’s pastorate the congregation celebrated its 40th anniversary in 1925.
The Ladies’ Aid was organized in 1893 and the Young People’s Society in 1907.
The present officers are: Trustees - A. M. Erickson, Martin Larson and Cornell Erickson; Sec. and Treas. - Arthur Thompson. The present Pastor, W. L. Anderson has served the congregation five years.
Members and friends are invited to attend these services.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.