BioM: Hales, Marie
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Hales, Hillert, Buth, Breseman, Whitrock
----Sources: The Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 4 June 1942
Hales, Marie (Marriage - 30 May 1942)
At two o’clock Saturday afternoon, May 30, in the American Lutheran Church at Granton, Miss Marie Hales, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Loren Hales, became the bride of Martin Hillert, son of Mr. and Mrs. August Hillert. The Rev. J. G. Buth performed the double-ring ceremony before an altar decorated with vases of tulips and ferns and baskets of spirea and garden flowers. Mrs. Louie Breseman, cousin of the groom, presided at the organ and Mr. Breseman sang, "At Cana Lord Thou Didst Appear," and the congregation sang, "Jesus, Lead the Way."
The bride was charmingly gowned in white satin with train, sweetheart neckline and fitted sleeves which extended to points over her wrists. Her long lace edged veil fell from a tiara of seed pearls and she carried a shower bouquet of pink roses and baby’s breath. She also wore a sweetheart locket, which had been presented to her by the groom.
Miss Evelyn Hales, sister of the bride, dressed in peach organdy, and Miss Lydia Hillert, sister of the groom, who was dressed in aqua net, attended the bride. Both carried yellow roses and white gladioli. Norman Hales, a brother of the bride, and Emery Whitrock, a close friend of the groom, attended Mr. Hillert.
A reception and supper for the immediate families followed at the home of the bride’s parents, where covers were laid for 18, at a table centered with a large wedding cake and candles. The home was decorated with streamers of white, peach and aqua, wedding bells that were used 23 years ago at the wedding of the bride’s parents, and garden flowers. In the evening a shower was given at the York Town Hall.
Mrs. Hillert was graduated from the Granton High School in 1937, and from the Neillsville teachers training course in 1938. She taught for one year at Washington school in the town of Grant and then entered Central State Teachers college at Stevens Point, being graduated from the rural course in 1940. Since then she has taught in the Washington school.
Mr. Hillert was graduated from Granton High School with the class of 1937, working since then on his father’s farm where the couple will make their home after their return from a trip to the Black Hills.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.