Obit: Owen, John
S. (1849 - 1939)
----Sources: OWEN ENTERPRISE (Owen, Clark County, Wis.) 06/22/1939
Owen, John S. (1 MAY 1849 - 20 JUN 1939)
John S. Owen, 90, one of the last survivors of the group of pioneer lumbermen of Eau Claire and one of the most widely known lumber operators in the north and middle west, died at his home, 907 Porter Avenue, Tuesday night.
Death came after an illness of two weeks. His health had been poor, however, for the past year or two.
The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 2:30 from Christ Episcopal Church here, Dean Victor Hoag officiating. Interment will be at Forest Hill Cemetery. It is request no flowers be sent.
Absence from the city of Rt. Rev. Frank E. Wilson, D.D., bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Eau Claire, a close friend of the family, prevents his officiating at the last rites.
John S. Owen had been closely identified with the growth and progress of industrial Eau Claire since he came here from Michigan in 1873. Owen Park, one of Eau Claire’s most beautiful parks, was the gift of Mr. Owen to the City of Eau Claire some years ago, and unto the vey last he had been interested in the development of the beauty spot as carried on by the city.
He was born on May 1, 1849, at Clarkston, Mich.
Before moving to Eau Claire in 1873 he was engaged in the wholesale grocery business at Saginaw, Mich., and also lumbering.
After moving to Eau Claire he engaged for some years in logging operations. He was one of the group of Eau Claire lumbermen who started the Westville Lumber Co., and then the West Eau Claire Lumber Co., which operated a mill here. In 1882 he was one of the group that organized the Rust-Owen Lumber Co. which operated a sawmill at Drummond, Wis., until about ten years ago.
In 1893 he organized the John S. Owen Lumber Co. of this city, which operated for virtually fifty years before it shut down about eight years ago. At the time of his death he was president of the John S. Owen Co. of Eau Claire. He was one of the men instrumental in the organization of the Eau Claire Club, which erected the beautiful club building known for years as the Eau Claire Club and which is now the Elk’s Club.
A lover of baseball, as well as other sports, he was among those who organized and supported Eau Claire baseball clubs in the old Wisconsin-Illinois League and the Wisconsin-Minnesota (Minny) League, and was a familiar figure at the games of the Eau Claire Bears of the Northern League.
Surviving are his widow, two sons, A.R. Owen, Ralph W. Owen of Eau Claire, a step-son, George B. Shaw of Eau Claire, three brothers, W.C. Owen of Pontiac, Mich., Edward A. Owen of Detroit, and James H. Owen of Medford, Ore., and a sister, Miss Gertner Owen of Saginaw, Mich.
Mr. Owen was married twice. His first wife, who was Cora Mathilda Rust, whom he married in 1872, died in 1895. In 1899 he married Mrs. Josephine Betcher Shaw, widow of Congressman George B. Shaw.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs