Mr./Mrs. Gust (50th Anniv. - 1941)
Surnames: Henkel, Arts, Phipps, Nelson, Elkins, Foster, Knebel, Brehm, Hochmuth, Johnson
----Sources: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 09/25/1941
Henkel, Mr./Mrs. Gust (50th Anniv. - 19 Sept. 1941)
Mr. and Mrs. Gust Henkel celebrated their fiftieth or golden wedding anniversary at their home Friday, Sept. 19th. Those from out of town here for the celebration were Mr. and Mrs. Russel Arts of Ladysmith, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Phipps of Ladysmith, Mrs. Hilmer Nelson and two children, Joyce and Jimmy, of Sioux Falls, S.D., Mrs. Alvyna Elkins of St. Louis, Mo., Mrs. W. C. Henkel and daughters, Rosemary and Lucille, of New York City, Mr. and Mrs. Morris Foster, Chas. Henkel and Mrs. John Knebel of Colby, Wis.
Mrs. Henkel was born in Germany on July 25th, 1875, and came to the United States with her parents at the age of six years. They came directly to Colby and engaged in farming, hewing a farm out of the wilderness.
Mr. Henkel was born at Plymouth, Wis., on July 26th, 1867, and came to Colby with his parents in the spring of 1878. They engaged in farming in the town of Hull on what is now the Alvin Brehm farm. Gust took over the farm later from his parents and operated the farm until 1891 when he moved to Colby and operated a drey line and later engaged in the tavern business.
Mr. and Mrs. Henkel were married in Colby on Sept. 19th, 1891. Thirteen children were born to this union, nine of whom are still living. They are Wallace of New York, Mrs. Alvyna Elkins of St. Louis, Mo., George of Fargo, N.D., Ida Phipps of Ladysmith, Mrs. Lucille Hochmuth of Pelican Lake, Wis., Jack Henkel of Fargo, N.D., Mrs. Mae Arts of Ladysmith, Mrs. Archie Johnson of St. Louis and Lieut. Robert Henkel of Camp Livingston, La.
A picture of Mr. and Mrs. Henkel will be printed next week.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs