William Carl (1874 - 1942)
Surnames: Wenzel, Krueger, Krause, Chapman, Upham, Fleischauer, Regenfuss, Miedaner
----Sources: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 10/29/1942
Wenzel, William Carl (27 July 1874 - Oct. 1942)
Funeral services for William C. Wenzel, former Colby business man and retired Marshfield, Wis., business man, who passed away after a lingering illness at his home in Marshfield, were held Friday afternoon at the Immanuel Lutheran church in Marshfield, Rev. G. M. Krueger officiating, and internment was made in the Hillside cemetery.
William Carl Wenzel was born near Berlin, Germany, July 27, 1874, and lived with his grand father while attending school half a day and working the other half until reaching the age of 14. He then entered his vocational training as a butcher under his uncle, the late Albert Wenzel, also a pioneer resident of Marshfield.
After completing his three years of apprenticeship, he worked for two years in Berlin at his trade, and in 1893 joined his stepfather and mother in coming to the United States, landing in Philadelphia, and then coming immediately to Marshfield, where they settled on the Ernest A. Krause farm, later known as the James Chapman place.
He worked in the forests as a wood cutter until spring, then the family purchased a tract of land from the late ex-governor, William H. Upham, 12 miles southeast of Marshfield. For the next two years he worked for Bauer brothers, pioneer Marshfield butchers, then moved to Colby to practice his trade.
On Oct. 27, 1897, he was married to Miss Mary Fleischauer at Colby, and immediately Mr. Wenzel started his own business at Colby, continuing it for four years.
Moving to Marshfield at this time, he stated a market with his uncle, Albert, under the name of Wenzel & Wenzel. When the partnership dissolved, he built the Palace Market building and continued to operate his business there until 1916, when he sold the building to Michael Miedaner.
The next few years were devoted to looking after his several farms. The family lived in Medford the years of 1919-20, the only period spent away from Marshfield. On returning, a market was started in partnership with J. J. Regenfuss, continuing this until 1924, when the firm moved into its own building, the People’s Market location.
Due to poor health, Mr. Wenzel retired from active business in 1926 and sold his part to his partner, J. J. Regenfuss.
Surviving besides his wife are three sons - Harry C. Wenzel of Marshfield, William Wenzel, Jr., of Washington, D.C., and Victor Wenzel of Williston, N.D.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs