Michael #2 (1855 - 1944)
Surnames: Weix, Budde, Lang, Schraufnagel, Firnstahl, Umhoefer, Gries, Ohlinger, Maunt, Oeshsner, Feucht, Schauf, Misslich, Grambort, Bartik, Braun
----Sources: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 04/27/1944
Weix, Michael #2 (8 Apr. 1855 - 21 Apr. 1944)
Michael Weix died Friday morning at 11:00 o’clock at the Marshfield hospital, where he had been a patient for several days, old age complications being the cause of his death. Funeral services were conducted Monday morning at the Lulloff Funeral Home where the body had been lying in state, and at St. Mary’s Catholic church in Colby, Wis. Internment was made in the Colby cemetery. Nephews of the deceased, sons of Mrs. John Budde, officiated and were Rev. George Budde of St. Peter’s parish of West Allis, Wis., celebrant; Rev. Gerard Budde of St. John’s parish of Clyman, Wis., deacon; Rev. John Budde of St. Killian’s parish of Hartford, Wis., sub deacon; Rev. Raymond Budde of St. Boniface parish of Milwaukee, master of ceremonies. Rev. L. J. Lang delivered the sermon. Nephews acted as pall bearers and were Emil Weix of Medford, Marzel Weix of Dorchester, Frank Schraufnagel of Abbotsford, I. M. Firnstahl, Raymond Weix and A. X. Umhoefer of Colby, Wis. The flowers were in charge of Patricia, Erma and Mary Weix and Marcia Gries.
Mr. Weix was the oldest of 14 children and was born in LeRoy, Wis., on April 8th, 1855, thus reaching the age of 89 years and 13 days. He came to this vicinity when 23 years of age and engaged in farming. He was one of the first settlers in the town of Hull, Wis. Two years later, on August 19, 1880, he was married to Mary Ohlinger at Lomira. They walked from Colby, with their belongings, out to their future home which was a crude log cabin of the pioneer days. As time went on, they gradually made improvements making a farm home which is now known as the Leonard Schraufnagel place. In 1904 Mr. Weix entered in partnership with his brother, John, in a meat market in Colby which they conducted for several years. Since then, he made his home in Colby, Wis. He was a faithful member of St. Mary’s Catholic church and helped found the first church in Colby about 55 years ago. He also contributed to the second and third church buildings. Mrs. Weix died on August 19, 1916.
Surviving are one son, R. J. Weix of Colby; Xavier Weix of Oconomowoc, Wis., and Lawrence and John Weix of Colby; one sister, Mrs. John (Julia) Budde of Beaver Dam and two grand children.
Out of town people here for the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. John Budde and sons, Felix and Richard, of Beaver Dam, Wis., Mr. and Mrs. Xavier Weix of Oconomowoc, John Maunt of Sun Prairie, Andrew Oeshnser, Sr., Andrew Oeshner, Jr., Mr. and Mrs. John Feucht, Martin Feucht and Mrs. Linus Schraufnagel, LeRoy, Mrs. Herbert Schauf and Mrs. Theophilus Misslich of Richland Center, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Schraufnagel, Joe Schraufnagel And Henry Schraufnagel and sons, Basil, Jack and Virgil, all of Glidden, Wis., Mrs. Allie Schraufnagel and Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Grambort of Abbotsford, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Bartik of Plainfield, Mr. and Mrs. Emil Umhoefer of Marshfield, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Braun of Athens, Mr. and Mrs. Emil Weix of Medford and Mr. and Mrs. Marzel Weix of Dorchester, Wis.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs