Obit: Laabs, Frederick W. (1881 - 1948)
Surnames: Laabs, Glenzer, Botterud, Borreson, Pease
----Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 03/11/1948
Laabs, Frederick W. (6 Mar. 1881 - 6 Mar. 1948)
Frederick W. Laabs of Curtiss, age 67, widely known in cheesemaking circles, died at 4:30 o’clock Saturday morning at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Marshfield, where he was a patient since Jan. 28. He had been ill one year. Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon at the Evangelical Lutheran church at Curtiss, Rev. G. E. Borreson officiating and internment was made in the Pine Hill cemetery.
Mr. Laabs was born in the town of Green Grove March 6, 1881, and was married there in 1901 to Hattie Glenzer, who died Oct. 13, 1943. In December, 1944, he married Mrs. Lillie Botterud at Livingston, Mont.
Shortly after his first marriage, Mr. Laabs took a course in cheesemaking at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and then was an instructor there for a short time. He returned to Curtiss and started in the cheesemaking business, also owning several factories in the community.
He was associated with the Kraft Cheese Company at Milan, was vice-president of the Curtiss State Bank; and served on the school and village boards at various times. Two years ago he retired from active business.
Surviving, besides his widow, are one daughter and seven sons - Mrs. George (Mernabel) Pease of Wisconsin Rapids, Herman F. Laabs of Niami, Okla., Glenzer C. Laabs of Concordia, Mo., Orville A. Laabs of Milan, Bernard M. Laabs of Abbotsford, and Arthur T. Laabs, Fred W. Laabs, and Harold W. Laabs of Curtiss. Also surviving are 15 grand children, one great grand child and five brothers - Emil and Arthur E. Laabs of Colby, William Laabs of Oshkosh, Albert Laabs of Owen and Ferdinand Laabs of Pocatello, Idaho. Two brothers, Ernest and Herman, preceded him in death.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs