BioA: Christofferson, Mr./Mrs. H. H. #3 (50th - 1949)

Contact: stan@wiclarkcountyhistory.org

Surnames: Christofferson, Schemmer, Lehmer, Brown, Rush, Baumgart, LaFollette, Goodland, Heil, Renebohm

----Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 07/21/1949

Christofferson, Mr./Mrs. H. H. (50th Anniv. - 26 July 1949)

Dr. and Mrs. H. H. Christofferson of Colby will celebrate their fiftieth or golden wedding anniversary with an "open house" at the Colby High School gymnasium Tuesday, July 26, from 2:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.m. and from 7:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.

Dr. Christofferson was born in Waupaca on March 27, 1875, and Mrs. Christofferson was born in Racine on July 5, 1876. They were married at Waupaca on July 26, 1899.

Dr. Christofferson attended college of medicine at St. Louis University and graduated in 1902. He practiced medicine in Loyal from 1902 to 1910 and in Colby from 1910 to 1948. For three years, Dr. A. M. Christofferson, now at Waupaca, and Dr. A. L. Schemmer were affiliated with him. In 1916, Dr. A. M. Christofferson entered U.S. service and served his country until the end of World War I when he moved to Waupaca. Dr. H. H. Christofferson and Dr. A. L. Schemmer operated the Colby Clinic until Dr. Christofferson sold out to Dr. Lehmer. The Clinic building was erected by Dr. H. H. Christofferson before World War I.

Besides taking care of a large practice in medicine in Colby and surrounding territory, Dr. Christofferson engaged in many other business enterprises. He and W. J. Rush of Neillsville and C. H. Brown of Loyal owned and operated the Clark County Telephone Company comprising the exchanges at Loyal, Spencer, Unity, Colby, Abbotsford, Curtiss, Owen and Withee with the main office in Colby from 1911 to 1926. The present telephone builing was erected by them in 1926. He was a big stockholder and director of the Central Canning Company which was in operation in Colby, Wisconsin for several years. He and Dr. Schemmer and several others acquired a controlling interest in 1922. The factory was sold in 1929, and, a few years later, ceased operations. In 1929, Dr. Christofferson bought the Ford garage in Colby which he remodeled and onto which he built a new addition. In 1930, he purchased the D-X filling station, now being operated by Ted Baumgart. He was made a director of Colby State Bank August 29, 1933, and was elected president on Sept. 17, 1946. He is president and owns a one-third interest in the Curtiss-Owen bank. He has been a director and stockholder of the Citizens State Bank of Loyal - which bought the Granton bank in 1934 - since the bank was in existence in 1907, and president since Jan. 12th, 1942. He was director of the Colby High School Board of Education since 1937.

Besides his many local activities, Dr. Christofferson was also very active in county and state organizations. He was physician of the Clark county hospital since the hospital was built in 1922, a member of the state board of medical examiners since 1937 having been appointed by Governors LaFollette, Goodland, Heil and just recently by Oscar Rennebohm, a director of the State Medical Society since 1937, a member of the executive committee of that society which is the father of the Wisconsin plan of pre-paid medical care which has been endorsed by the State Medical Society, a member of the American Medical Association committee set up for the purpose of evaluating credentials of foreign schools. He is chairman of the committee on mental hygiene and institutional care which committee has been instrumental in setting up the minimum standards for inmates in county asylums.

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE