BioM: Thomley, Elaine M. (1943)
Surnames: Thomley, Colby, Nelson, Mors, Hjernstad, Hanson, Johnson
----Source: THORP COURIER (Thorp, Clark County, Wis.) 07/08/1943
Thomley, Elaine M. (11 JUN 1943)
At a beautiful candlelight service at the South Beef River Church near Osseo, at 7:30 in the evening of June 11, 1943, Miss Elaine Marion Thomley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Thomley of Osseo, became the bride of Bernard Colby, son of Mrs. Floy Colby of Thorp (Clark Co., Wis.).
The Rev. E.B. Christopherson performed the double ring ceremony. The church was decorated with baskets of pure white snowballs and bridal wreath with their green foliage. The green and white color scheme had also been used at the wedding of the bride’s parents on the same day twenty-four years ago. A white carpet was laid for the bridal party’s approach to the altar. Before the exchange of vows the bride’s father sang "Because".
The bridal party entered the church to the strains of "Bridal Chorus" from Lohengrin, Mrs. Constance Nelson at the organ. After the exchange of vows the bride’s father sang "The Lord’s Prayer" accompanied at the piano by Miss Joyce Mors. Soft music was played throughout the service. Upon leaving the altar Mendelssohn’s Wedding March was played.
Howard Hjemstad and Lloyd Nelson, friends of the bridegroom, as ushers, preceded the bridesmaids, Miss Louise Thomley, the bride’s sister, and Miss Adella Hanson, the bride’s cousin, who wore gowns of pink marquisette over satin and blue net over satin, respectively.
Mrs. Bennie O. Nelson, sister of the bridegroom, as matron of honor, wore gold net over satin. They all wore pearl necklaces, gifts of the bride, and carried colonial bouquets of mixed flowers.
Little Mary Ellen Thomley, the bride’s cousin, was flower girl. Her gown was also a formal, being white ninon over taffeta and trimmed with white lace. She had a yellow rose pinned on her curls and her dainty blue and white basket held sprays of colored sweet peas, pink roses and white daisies.
The bride, approaching the altar on the arm of her father, who gave her in marriage, was lovely in a gown of sheer ninon on princess lines with sweetheart neckline. The train was trimmed with lace inserts. Long sleeves had puffs of lace at the top. Her fingertip veil of bridal illusion was held in place by a coronet of sweet peas. She wore a string of pearls, a gift of the groom. They were met at the altar by the bridegroom and his attendant, Maynard Thomley, brother of the bride.
The church parlors were prettily decorated for the reception. The table decorations were in pink and white with pink peonies and white snowballs used as centerpieces. A three tiered wedding cake topped with a miniature bride and groom was made by the bride’s aunt, Mrs. C.J. Johnson, adorned the bridal table.
The waitresses wore aprons to fit in with the color scheme. They were Misses Clarice Olson, Elsie Nelson, Abigail Nelson, Donna Eimon, Hazel Berg, Edna Thomley, Agnes Cox, and Mrs. Julian Rogstad.
The bride’s mother wore a navy blue silk. Mrs. Colby, mother of the groom, was dressed in black sheer. Each wore white accessories and a corsage of pink roses.
Mrs. Colby is the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Thomley. She is a graduate of the Whitehall High School and of the Eau Claire State Teacher’s College. The past year she taught the Ellingson School near Northfield. The bridegroom graduated from Randolph High School in New York and has been employed on the William Cox farm near Osseo. They will make their home on the bridegroom’s farm in Chimney Rock.
The bride was honored at a pre-nuptial shower held at the church parlors on June 6th, and at a post nuptial shower at the Colby home on June 13th. She received many lovely gifts on both occasions.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.