Bio: Literski Family Farm
Surnames: Literski , Kulas, Kaull, Bargender, Welbes, Breska, Schug, Murkowski, Writz
----Source: Rietbrock centennial Booklet (1880 - 1980)
In the year of 1877, John Literski and wife Josephine (Kulas) purchased 80 acres of wooded land in Rietbrock. They cleared some off on which they built a log house and barn. It was in this log house that church Mass was said occasionally before Holy Family parish built a church.
The family continued to clear land for raising more crops. Several years later the present house and barn were built.
John and Josephine raised a family of ten children, six daughters and four sons. The children were: Martha (Kaull, John Barbara (Bargender), Tony, Rose (Bargender), Albert, Mary (Welbes), Victor, Frances (Breska), and Verona (Cyzan).
John died on October 13, 1906, at sixty years of age. Josephine continued to live on the farm, and in 1907, son John took possession of the farm. Josephine, his mother, made her home with him, as did some of the brothers and sisters who were unmarried at the time. Mother Josephine lived here until her death at age ninety, on March 10, 1899.
On September 16, 1912, John married Angeline Writz. They also had ten children, seven sons and three daughters: Frank, Joseph, Regina, (who died in infancy), Mary, (Mrs. Peter Nowicki), John, Alois, Leo, Thomas, (who also died in infancy), Edmund, and Dorothy, (Mrs. Howard Murkowski).
In 1943, when their son John took over the farm, John and Angeline made their home with them. On June 27, 1951, John married Marcella Nowicki and they continued to farm. They have one daughter Janice (Schreiner).
John, Sr., died in 1964, at the age of 84, and Angeline died in 1978, in Tomahawk. She had moved with John and Marcella, in 1977, to their lake home north of Tomahawk.
At this time in 1977 nephew James Literski (son of Leo) and wife Sherry (Schug) bought the farm and are presently farming with their three daughters.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.