History: Clark County, Wis. Historical Society (1965 - 1976)
Surnames: Sturdevant, Sisson, Teeples, Vorland, Bergstrom, Scott
----Source: Greenwood Public Library, original copy owned by Jean Rolstad
The Clark County Historical Society was founded and incorporated in April, 1965, and is dedicated to writing the history and perpetuating the highlights of pioneer days of Clark county.
The Society has taken steps to provide a museum, sometime in the future, to house the many items of pioneer history now being collected. William Sisson, Greenwood, was named the first curator.
Four important historical markers were dedicated in Clark county in 1967 and 1968. One marker is located in the Greenwood city park on the Main street of Greenwood, to recognize the Mormons who came into Clark county in the winter of 1843 - 44 as the first white settlers. Greenwood was selected for the location of the marker as the Greenwood area represents the high-water mark (farthest north). The Mormons came in 1843 - 44 to obtain pine lumber for their tabernacle in Nauvoo, Illinois.
A second historical marker is located at Moraine Park, two miles west of Neillsville, to recognize the beauty of the terminal moraine, beauty from the Ice Age or Glacier Age.
A third historical marker is located on the library lawn in downtown Neillsville and honors Major General Clarence Sturdevant, a native of Neillsville, who was chief engineer of the building of Alcan Highway in World War 'II. The highest ranking officer in military history of Neillsville, General Sturdevant is recognized as "Father of Alcan Highway".
very important historical marker is located in beautiful city park ill Colby honoring Joseph Steinwand, who in 1885 first produced Colby cheese, now known the world over.
The Historical Society is engaged in research and will leave for posterity well written articles of history of Clark county. It is studying the names used in townships, cities, communities, and will preserve this history and items from the early pioneer years.
Incorporators of the Clark County Historical Society in April:1965 were Miss Violet Teeples, Hatfield; Mrs. Pearl Vorland, Colby; Mrs. Anita Bergstrom, Owen, and Jess W. Scott, Neillsville. During the first four years, the society grew from four members to over 400 members. Meetings are held the first Thursday of each month. Membership is open to anyone, and the roster lists members from many states in the Union.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs