Church: Longwood Immanuel Lutheran Church (6 July 1944)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Sorenson, Peterson, Berntzon, Jackson, Anderson, Bredesen
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 6 July 1944
Fiftieth anniversary of the church at Longwood
Immanuel Lutheran Church at Longwood has observed the fiftieth anniversary of it organization. A history of the congregation was read by Carl W. Sorenson and this gave the following facts:
The activities preceding formal organization began 10 years back, giving the congregation a total history of 60 years.
The organization took place in a log cabin, about 28 by 30 feet, built by Julius Sorenson on what is known as the Peterson farm, east of Longwood.
Four members of the original worship conducted June 15, 1884, by the Rev. Staale Berntzon of Colfax, still live in Longwood community. They include Nels Sorenson, Mrs. Hannah Sorenson, Carl W. Sorenson, and Mrs. Cecelia Jackson. Of the group of men who organized the congregation, C. M. Anderson and Tom Bredesen still reside near Longwood.
The first pastor came from Colfax and conducted services about once every four weeks. The acre of land on which the church stands was purchased in 1896, but building was not commenced until 1910. In the meantime the **Rest cut off.**
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs