Obit: Hubbell, George W. #2 (1829 - 1902)

Contact: Stan

Surnames: Hubbell, Lindsay, Stanton, Haws, Keator

----Source: NEILLSVILLE TIMES (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 08/07/1902

Hubbell, George W. #2 (25 JUL 1829 - 3 AUG 1902)

George Washington Hubbell died of consumption on Sunday, Aug. 3rd, 1902, at the home in Fifield, aged 73 years and 9 days. The remains were brought here (Neillsville, Clark Co., Wis.), accompanied by relatives, on Monday, and buried in the Lindsay lot, the G.A.R. post acting as escort, and Rev. G.W. Longenecker making a few remarks.

Decedent was born at Hancock, N.Y., was taken by his parents when a child to Honesdale, Pa., where he grew up. He married Jenny H. Stanton at Waymart, Pa., in 1850. In 1863 he went into the war for the Union as captain of the bold Wayne Co. Conscripts, experienced exciting service, rose to be major and paymaster, and received honorable discharge at the close of the war. He was a vigorous soldier and many instances of his nerve are recalled. At one time he ran the gauntlet of Hood’s besieging rebels with three strong boxes of money on flying locomotive and drifting raft, his only guard a burly nigger, and his only shelter some cottonwood boughs piled over his raft - a service for which he volunteered to his colonel, Crane. At another time he was ordered to take charge of a regiment needing a head. "What!’ he exclaimed, "get killed and have my name spelled wrong in the papers, so that the folks at home won’t know whether I’m dead or alive?" But he took the command and made a hot streak for the enemy.

He came here in 1869, the family following in 1871, making this their home, with an interval of eight years residence at Greenwood (Clark Co.), a two years experience of descendent out in Montana, and latterly some years at Fifield, where he died.

An exciting incident in his life took place soon after the war, when he went to Tennessee to run a plantation. The Tennesseans were not so much infatuated with the scheme, and destroyed his property and set about lynching Hubbell, getting him on a scaffold with a noose around his neck, but his coolness amused them and they turned him loose. He took his time in quitting the place, but decided that the north had some points that were not to be despised.

He leaves the wife, a daughter, Mrs. C.B. Lindsay, and to sons, Wm. S. and Fred K., a sister, Mrs. Susan Haws, and a half-brother, J.L. Keator of Rock Island, the management of whose extensive logging operations on the Black River first brought Mr. Hubbell to this section.

He suffered much during the few weeks preceding dissolution, except that the two or three closing days were painless, and he remarked to his wife that he did not know it was so exceedingly easy to die. Death came to him while asleep.

A good man is gone - a man of strong intellect and vigorous speech, and a plain, striking way of putting things. He was one of the nation’s grand old protectors.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel