Obit: Campbell, Hugh (1886 - 1946)
Surnames: Campbell, Neff
----Source: CLARK COUNTY PRESS (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 04/24/1947
Campbell, Hugh (26 FEB 1886 - 24 JAN 1946)
The ashes of Hugh Campbell, 60, a former Neillsville (Clark Co., Wis.) resident, who died Jan. 24, 1946 (1947?), in Cincinnati, Ohio, were interred in the Neillsville Cemetery Monday afternoon, April 21. The burial service was in charge of Rev. Floyd A Fahlgren.
Mr. Campbell was born in Neillsville on Feb. 26, 1886. All of his early life was spent in tis community. On June 17, 1908, he was married to Miss Lola Neff, daughter of the late Dorr Neff, at Neillsville. For a short time following their marriage, they lived in the West. After returning to Wisconsin, he attended the University of Wisconsin and later the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. After graduation, he was employed as a chemist with the McElwain Shoe Company of Manchester, N.H., and in 1914, moved to Cincinnati, where he served as a chemist with the U. S. Public Health Service for a time, and for the last 25 years of his life was a chemist with the Cincinnati Chemical Works.
His parents, Robert and Annie Campbell, were pioneer residents of this community. Robert Campbell was a blacksmith and a wagon and carriage maker in the early logging days, and engaged in wagon and carriage making with the firm Campbell, Watson and Hommel. He was later a veterinarian and was sheriff of Clark County. He died in 1909. Mrs. Annie Campbell spent her last years in Cincinnati and died there in 1934.
Surviving with Mrs. Campbell are their four children, Agnes, Bruce, Donald and John, all of Cincinnati, and two brothers, Gordon of Cincinnati, and William of Richmond, Calif. Mrs. Campbell, her sons, Donald and John, and Gordon Campbell accompanied the ashes to Neillsville.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs