History: Logging in Clark Co.,
Surnames: Washburn, Dewhurst, Foster, Butler
----Source: Clark Co. Press, Neillsville, Wis., Butler Twp. Records
The lumber industry cut the white pine between 1850 and 1900, and hardwood between 1850 and 1915. The townships of Sherwood, Washburn, Levis, Dewhurst, Hewett, Mentor, Foster and Butler were covered with heavy growth of medium-sized pine. The other 26 townships had pine one-quarter to one-half mile on each side of the streams. Most of the hardwood areas had large pines of high quality. Pine logs floated, but hardwood logs sank. There was a great demand for the area lumber in the prairie states and cities, and the Chicago area after the fire of 1876.
Logging in Butler Township, Clark Co., Wisconsin
Earl V. Butler and Ottilia Biddle were married on October 5, 1920.
It was that same fall that Earl and his father, Abe Butler, bought and moved a saw mill from Gad (in Taylor County) onto the Earl Butler 160 acres west of Colby.
From the winter of 1920 to the spring of 1972 they sawed logs of their own and did custom sawing. Lumber was planed and finished as materials for homes.
It was in 1922 that Earl Butler built another home on the west 80 of the 160 acres. Here Earl and Ottilia lived until his death on June 4, 1972 at the age of 75 years and 3 months.
During his 51 years of married life he had built more than 100 homes in the area. Most of the homes were ranch style with garage attached. He also built cabins along Mead Lake in western Clark County. In addition to this he had remodeled many homes.
His craftsmanship is a mute monument in his memory.
Information given by Mrs. Earl V. Butler
215 So. 3rd Street
Colby, Wis. 54421
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs