Contact: Marsha Hosfeld
Surnames: Doudna, Lewis, Hall, Healy, Hanson, Fowell, Vaughan, Turner, Emery, Henkel, Goodearle, Starner, Bethke, Dwyer, Caflisch, Dippel, Hornung, Braden, Lower
----Source: ABBOTSFORD TRIBUNE (Abbotsford, Clark Co., WI) 21 July 1938
Doudna, Frances (Marriage - 14 July 1938)
Her fingertip length veil falling over her white net redingate from a Juliet cap with its (stiffened?) halo of seed pearls, Miss Frances Doudna, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank L. Doudna, Poynette, became the bride of Earl A. Lewis, Moscow, Idaho, son of Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Lewis, Abbotsford, Thursday, July 14 at 4:00 p. m. at the University Presbyterian church, Madison. The marriage rites were read by the Rev. Cameron Hall, pastor of the church.
The bride’s gown, which was worn over white taffeta, was designed with shirring down the center front and a fitted bodice trimmed from the tailored neckline to the waist with tiny satin buttons, and the full skirt bordered with narrow double ruffles extended into a train. She carried an arm bouquet of token roses and white centauria. White tapers burned in candelabra at either side of the altar of the beautiful University church, beneath which were identical baskets of daisies and Madonna lilies. Mr. Doudna gave his daughter in marriage.
Miss Maude Lenore Doudna, Antigo, the bride’s only attendant, wore a stone blue Mousseline de soie gown over taffeta with a bodice of stone blue and lace. Her pale pink face veil was caught to her hair at the top with tulle flowers of pastel shades, and she carried an arm bouquet of assorted bachelor buttons and gypsophelia.
George Lewis, St. Cloud, Minn., was his brother’s best man. The ushers were Don Healy, Antigo; Earl Hanson, Stoughton, and George Fowell and Luverne Vaughan, Madison.
The wedding music was played by Mrs. George Fowell, Madison, sorority sister of the bride, and she accompanied the soloist, Miss Lorraine Turner, Baraboo, when she sang "I Love Thee," by Gerig, and "Beloved It Is Morn," by Aylward.
For her daughter’s wedding, Mrs. Doudna chose a dusty pink frock, her corsage being of Johanna Hill roses, bachelor buttons and snap dragons. Mrs. Lewis’ gown was of sheer blue materiel, and her corsage of gladioli and snapdragons. Mrs. H. H. Emery, Stoughton, grandmother of the bride, was ushered to her pew by Quincy Doudna, Richland Center, brother of the bride. She was attired in a dark blue lace gown and her corsage was of gardenias.
Following the ceremony a reception for 125 guests was held in the church lounge which was decorated with garden and wild flowers. Assisting at the reception were Misses Jean Henkel, Alice Goodearle, Beatrice Starner, Inez Bethke, Jean Dwyer, Mildred Caflisch, Evelyn Dippel, Rosemary Hornung, Baraboo; Mrs. Sam Braden and Mrs. Cecil Lower, Madison. Presiding at the tea table were Mrs. Quincy Doudna, Richland Center, and Mrs. Luverne Vaughan, Madison.
When the couple started Sunday morning on the trip to their new home in Moscow, Idaho, the bride wore a blush pink frost linen frock with white accessories.
Mr. and Mrs. Lewis are both graduates from the University of Wisconsin with B. S. degrees, Mr. Lewis with the class of 1935 and his bride in 1937. Mrs. Lewis is a member of Phi Upsilon Omicron, professional home economics sorority, and for the past year she has been instructor in home economics in the Baraboo high school. During her junior year at the University she was awarded the Danforth Foundation Fellowship, which included a week in St. Louis and a week at the Youth Foundation Camp, at (unreadable) Michigan. During her senior year she was awarded the (th mphrey medal?). Since his graduation the groom has been employed by the (unreadable) in Idaho.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.