News: Loyal, Wis.  (9 Mar 1900)
Contact: Duane Horn

Surnames: Castner, Mulligan, Graves, Romaine, Upham, Ruplinger, Mescham

----Source: March 9, 1900 Greenwood Gleaner

Loyal Local News

Alfred Castner and John Mulligan went to Monico Junction Tuesday morning.

Mr. A. A. Graves was taken quite sick Sunday evening but at this writing is better.

E. W. Romaine went to Neillsville Tuesday morning.

E. Upham of Greenwood was in this place Sunday for a short time.

There seems to be quite an epidemic of mumps going the rounds.

The Ruplinger’s Stave & Heading Co.’s new saw mill is nearing completion.

Geo. Mescham, Chronicle editor, has been on the sick list this week.


L. Wilcox and partner drove to town Thursday evening. "Coxey" said they tipped over twice.

Mrs. Jas. Howe and two daughters called on Mr. Scovil’s people Sunday.

Herm. Stabnaw and family visited the Steve LaTarts Sunday.

Mrs. Richbleus’ entertained the Stabnaw people yesterday.

Mr. A. Brown has a smiling countenance these last few days. The reason why? There is a young man at his house. He arrived last Saturday.

Cassidy’s people visited with Scovil’s Sunday.

L. Wilcox, accompanied by Miss Lizzie Westphsl, drove to Greenwood Saturday.

Jno. Robinson and brother returned to their home Sunday.

L. Cook was seen on our streets yesterday.

Bert Stoneburg returned to his home south of town yesterday


J. W. Robinson of Neillsville was in town the first of the week.

F. M Taylor has been laid up with a severe touch of rheumatism for the past few days but yesterday was quite a bit better.

Mrs. Jos. Green drove up with her daughter, Miss Green, Sunday afternoon, returning the day following.

The dental outfit for Dr. C. H. Brown arrived the first of the week and now he is located in E. H. Thompson’s jewelry store, ready to attend all who may need his service.

Christian Endeavor meeting will be held in the Baptist church at 6:30 Sunday evening.

The diphtheria scare is about over with school having started again Monday. Only the Borseth and Alton families being placed under limits.The sick ones are doing nicely and will likely be out soon.

Ole Madison was down from Longwood Saturday.

George Brooks and wife were over from Lynn Saturday and Sunday for a couple of days’ visit at the home of Postmaster Hartson. They were accompanied by Bertha Chamberlain, the Lynn school Mistress.

Miss May Harris left Saturday morning for Greenwood where she is to have a position in the millinery department in the Big Store at that place.

Last evening was the time of the annual Woodmen ball and concert.

August Bredlan and son were over Thursday from Loyal to try our new grist mill. We are pleased to have the farmers come and more so to have them go away satisfied.

The Gleaner man was in Chicago last week looking up machinery and printing office supplies. Several additions have been made to the office in the way of a numbering machine that will number consecutively or in duplicate to 100,000, also type, borders, rule, etc., which will greatly facilitate our doing up-to-date work on short notice at reasonable prices.

An engine and flanger came over from Marshfield Wednesday to clean out the snow from around the rails on the Central track.

Ed. McLauhlin and wife were over from Fairchild Tuesday at the Commercial House. They have rented the house and will take charge about the first of May, when Mr. Stevens will move back to his own property.

Newton Drake was down from near Thorp Saturday and Sunday.

Levi Palmer of Loyal began Monday as helper in the new flour and grist mill.

Dr. W. B. Cresswell will be in his office until Tuesday morning.

Henry Oxford has sold out his dray business, first to Hastings Baird who the next day sold it to Cha. Kippenhan. Mr. Oxford expects to spend some time in other parts and will probably leave today.

The storm was so severe the first of the week that the Neillsville stage was obliged to abandon the trip. The roads have been in very bad condition on account of the drifted snow.

Lou Dimler is the proud father of a bouncing boy born Sunday, March 4.

The Washington Party cleared the Ladies Aid $30.00 instead the $21.00 as mentioned last week.

Dr. W. B. Cresswell will be in Greenwood hereafter the first ten days of every month.

C. W. Haffner who used to reside here but has been in Iowa for the past year, has been circulating among Greenwood friends for a few days and looking after business matters. He expects to locate in Dubuque soon in the merchant tailoring business, which he has been following since leaving here.

The Epworth League at the last business meeting, decided to purchase an $80.00 organ from the Epworth Organ Co. of Chicago. About half the money is already secured. The society is planning for a sleigh ride next week if the roads are passable.

B. R. Tarbox was a Greenwood visitor from Pittsville Saturday.

Tony Barr and Ethel Carleton of Longwood ate dinner Sunday with Landlord Brydeu.

Mr. A. C. Brown is wearing smile now-a-days that you can see four mile away, because a ten-pound boy arrived at their home last Saturday, March 3.

Joseph Nesbit of Onalaska, was registered at the Greenwood House Wednesday.

W. Tafts and wife, with his daughter Etta, passed through town Wednesday.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel