News: Greenwood, Wis. (2 Mar. 1900)
Contact: Duane Horn

Surnames: Shanks, Cresswell, Johnson, Bright, Bryden, Eaton, Rossow, Rouch, Knuth, Kristiansen, Haskell, Richeleu, Calvin, Klinke, Sanford, Anderson, Klein, Green, Brown, Moody, Tufts, House, Meek, Root, Woodward, Dawes, Bortle, Doughner, Buland, Stewart, Morris, Smith, Meade, Sheets, Watson, Scauler, Estabrook, Coon, Marquadt

----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark County, Wis.) 2 Mar. 1900


John Shanks returned Thursday evening from Chicago, whence he went Monday with a carload of sheep.

Dr. W. B. Cresswell arrived Wednesday evening and will be found in his office over Johnson’s barber shop for the next ten days.

B. A. Bright and wife were registered at John Bryden’s Friday.

All members of John Eaton post are requested to be present at their regular meeting Saturday evening, March 9.

Ferdinand Rossow, who has been at the hospital for several weeks suffering from ulcer of the stomach, returned to his home in Greenwood last Saturday.

The Misses Knuth and Rouch of Fairchild were enjoying Greenwood sights Tuesday.

The shoe factory has shut down this week because of the bursting of a steam pipe caused by the cold Saturday night.

Signe Kristiansen went to Price Saturday for a week’s visit with her sister.

Chas. Haskell and family from Cambridge moved yesterday with their belongings onto his farm, which he purchased last fall from Chris. Richeleu.

B. A. Calvin of Christie, was in town Wednesday.

Call on Frank Klinke for spring farm tools.

The supper and George Washington Birthday party given last week by the ladies of the M. E. Church was highly successful. Besides an excellent supper server, a pleasing program was rendered, free. Over $21.00 was realized.

Z. E. Sanford was called home from Bessemer Saturday by the illness of his wife, who was thought to be suffering with pneumonia. At the present writing, she is much better and Zeph. expects to return to camp in a day or so.

Adolph Anderson arrived from Watertown, S. D. Friday, his goods arriving this week. He has moved onto his farm near P. J. Klein’s for the time being.

Della Green has been spending the week at her home in Shortville.

Will H. Brown, Mrs. L. Moody and Etta Tufts of Withee were registered at the Greenwood House Wednesday.

The friends of R. E. House and family filed in on them Thursday evening a week ago and surprised them, each leaving a pound or more of goodies, etc., on the table as they went in. The result was a pleasant evening for all and about $10 worth of merchandise for the pastor and family.

Mrs. D. J. Tufts has been down from Withee during the past week visiting her mother, Mrs. Sarah Meek.

H. M. Root was up from Neillsville Sunday and was accompanied by Mrs. Minnie Woodward.

Lydia Dawes went to Minneapolis Wednesday, where she expects to remain for the present. During her few months residence in Greenwood, Miss Dawes has made many friends, who will miss her, now that she is to be gone for some time

L. Bortle, who has rented the Thompson-Root farm for five years, can probably tell more about the weather Saturday evening than any other person. He walked over to Loyal.

Albert Douphner was down from Withee Sunday.

Ralph Sanford came down from Camp Antium, Mich., Friday evening, returning Monday morning.

The friends of Dr. G. L. Buland will be interested to learn that his latest venture is in the newspaper field. He having bought a half interest in the Cowlitz Advocate, of Castle Rock, Wash., the firm name appearing as Buland and Morris. Among the items occurs the following familiar names: "Dave Stewart of Portland, was a guest last Sunday of Mr. and Mrs. G. L. Buland."

M. F. Scouler, representing Lindsay Bros. of Milwaukee, has been working with H. W. Hunt & Son during the past week, looking after machine interests among the farmers.

L. Bortle took first degree in the Woodmen camp Tuesday evening.

The Woodmen have issued their invitations and sent out advertising matter for the biggest event of the season, their fifth annual ball, next Thursday evening.

The feed rollers are here at last and the new mill began grinding feed Wednesday noon. Now no farmer will need to go out of town to get his feed ground. They will do it here while you wait.

C. H. Estabrook has been in town from Fond du Lac for the past week or more and has made the real estate market lively, having in that time bought and paid over $13,000 for three different farms. He purchased two of them for himself, one being the old Hackett farm, five miles north of here, for which he paid $3,000. The other is the Wm Johnston farm, in the city limits, for which he paid $7,500, this including stock. The third is the Warner place, owned by August Marquadt, which Mr. Estabrook purchased for John D. Coon, also of Fond du Lac, for $2,700. We are glad to see these men, who have made money on farms, invest like this. It shows that Clark County land must have the proper stuff in it for profitable farming.

S. D. Smith and Ed. Meade, with their wives, from Chicago were registered with Landlord Stevens Tuesday. These were at one time popular Fairchild residents, where they are still well known.

John Shanks has bought the Stewart house and lots on main street.

E. K. Sheets and D. M. Watson were over through Granton Thursday buying cows.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel