Obit: Campbell, Robert M. #2 (1848 - 1909)
Surnames: Campbell, DeLaney, Brownrig
----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 01/07/2009
Campbell, Robert M. #2 (1 AUG 1848 - 2 JAN 1909)
Robert Morton Campbell was born Aug. 1, 1848 at Alton, Ayershire, Scotland. He died Jan. 2, 1909 at his home in this city (Neillsville, Clark Co., Wis.). Surviving him are his wife and three sons, William of Aberdeen, Wash., Hugh of Oregon and Robert Gordon; one brother, William of San Antonio, Texas, and one sister, Mrs. C. W. DeLaney of Poynette.
Deceased came to Poynette, Wis., in 1859 with his grandparents, a few years after his father had been here and prepared a home. When he grew to young manhood he learned the blacksmithing trade, and this vocation he followed the greater part of his life. On Jan. 20, 1869, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Brownrig, and to this union five children were born.
In 1871 Mr. Campbell located in Neillsville, working at his trade for a few months. He later formed a partnership with J. W. Hommel and Geo. Watson for the manufacture of wagons and carriages, and when a number of years later, this partnership dissolved, he took up his trade again in his own shop. He was elected sheriff of Clark County for two terms and also served one term as undersheriff. He was a member of the Masonic order of this city. He had always occupied a prominent position in political and business affairs.
Robert Campbell was a man whose kindly nature and genial disposition made friends for him in all parts of the county. He had benevolent and charitable inclinations, often with material injury to himself, but he will be long remembered by his friends and those upon whom his kindly acts were bestowed.
The funeral was held at the family residence on Tuesday afternoon according to Masonic rites and customs. Rev. W. T. Hendren and S. M. Marsh conducted the services. Mrs. Gile and Mrs. McCulloch of Marshfield attended the funeral.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs