Bio: Anderson, Charles G. (History of Abbotsford) 

Contact: Stan

Surnames: Wing, Anderson, Grant, Miltimore, Suhy, Karlstrom 

----Source: Abbotsford Tribune (Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) 11/06/1952 

Written by F. R. Wing 

Charles G. Anderson 

In 1897, while still employed on the railroad, he purchased a tract of land one and a quarter miles east of Abbotsford on what is now Highway 29. This tract, which was to become his home, was originally a part of the lands granted to the Wisconsin Central Railroad under a patent approved by President U. S. Grant. This particular parcel was acquired from the Wisconsin Central by D. O. Miltimore, of Dorchester, on Oct. 6, 1878, and in turn sold by him to John Suhy Nov. 11, 1880. Miltimore paid the railroad $577.00 for it and sold it to Suhy for $245.00, an indication that he had logged off the original stand of pine timber. 

John Suhy cleared the first land on this tract and built a set of log buildings. In those days, the forest was virtually worthless, except for pine, and to clear the land, trees were often cut, rolled into huge piles and burned. This was heavy hardwood and hemlock timber. 

Excepting for the small clearing made by Suhy, the land was still in virgin forest in 1897, only a few scattered pines having been cut on this tract in the original logging. Anderson removed the log buildings and the following year built an eight room, story and a half frame house, which subsequently became the family home. 

Two years later, in 1900, he made a visit to the old country and on his return, was accompanied by Ador Karlstrom and his sister, Hilda Karlstrom, to whom Mr. Anderson was engaged. On April 6, 1901, they were married in Marshfield and shortly thereafter moved into their new home on the farm east of town. 

Although the early stage of pioneering was past at that time much hard *** Note: The rest of the article was cut off and was not available at the time of transcription. 



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel