History: The Adams Hotel (History of Abbotsford)
Surnames: Wing, Kuentz, Scharf, Crocker, Weideman, Mueller, Pillon, Kennedy, Wilson, Wood, Schultz, Schwierske
----Source: Abbotsford Tribune
(Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) 06/10/1954
History of Abbotsford - The Adams Hotel
By F. B. Wing
The Adams Hotel, the only three story
structure that Abbotsford can boast of, lives in memory only. It
was built soon after the railroad division moved here, for Adam
Kuentz, a successful hardware merchant of Colby. Mr. Kuentz was
born April 2, 1844, in Hesse, Darmstadt, Germany, came to America
in 1846 with his parents, who settled near Sheboygan. Adam became a
cheese maker and worked near Sheboygan until 1870. He then traveled
to Colby and purchased 120 acres of land. In 1880 he built a
hardware store in Colby, which he conducted for 19 years selling
the business to Zillman Bros., in 1889, Adam was an expert marksman
and was a member of the Wisconsin Sharp Shooters’ Union and
attended many tournaments, winning many trophies.
He built the Adams Hotel, also rebuilt
and bricked the Abbotsford Hardware building, which at that time,
was a dry goods and notions store, conducted by Jake Scharf. It has
been said of Adams’ method, of conducting his business, at
times, may have been the forerunner of the modern self service
stores, where the customer waits on himself and pays the clerk.
There was a reason for this, as Adam experienced trouble with his
limbs and at times operated his business while seated near the cash
register and directing his customers to the location of the
articles they wished to buy.
W. L. Crocker, a building contractor, who
built and owned several houses in Abbotsford, one being the house
where Mrs. August Weideman now lives, another where Clarence
Mueller lives. He was engaged by Mr. Kuentz to oversee the building
of the Adams Hotel. This hotel had a double entrance, one to the
saloon, the other to the hotel office. The first proprietor of the
hotel was Tom Pillon, who previously was in business across the
street, in what was known as the Erion building.
The next tenants of the Adams were Mr.
and Mrs. William Kennedy, Mr. and Mrs. Andy Wilson, Mrs. Ezra Wood.
Mr. and Mrs. William Schultz were the last tenants of the
The hotel enjoyed a fine business for several years. Some time after the division moved, the whole town received a set back, and the hotel no longer a good rental property. Mr. Kuentz turned the handling of the property over to his son-in-law, Fred U. Schwierske, he not being able to dispose of the property, at any where near its real value had to *** Note: The rest of the article was cut off and was not available at the time of transcription.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.