Bio: O'Neill - Neillsville City Cemetery (1953)
Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
Surnames: O’Neill, Douglas, Darling,
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville,
Clark Co., WI.) July 30, 1953
City Cemetery (O’Neill -
Story of the First Pioneer as Told by
Inscriptions on Stones - Life and Death of Founder Told on Oldest
Plot in City Cemetery -
recent interment of Harry Darling in the city cemetery of
Neillsville brought to attention the plot in which he was
buried. His grave is on the old O’Neill lot, which is
in the oldest part of the cemetery. This lot is the burial
place of persons connected the earliest days of Clark
stones upon this lot, together with the inscriptions upon them,
were studied by the editor of The Clark County Press immediately
following the interment of Mr. Darling. Several interesting
Most important discovery is that the stones upon
the family lot are losing their value as an historical
record. This was especially true in the case of the senior
James O’Neill, the Founder. The first conclusion of the
editor was that (the rest of this portion of article was missing.
(Then there was a photo of the cemetery showing
the stones mentioned, but it was not good enough to try to put onto
the website. But here is the story that was beneath it.
This is the old O’Neill lot in the city
cemetery of Neillsville. The marker at the extreme left marks the
burial place of James O’Neill, the Founder. The larger
stone to the right of the marker bears an inscription for Jane
Douglas O’Neill, first wife of the Founder; of two sons,
Thomas, who died in 1872 at the age of 21, and John, who died in
army service in 1862 at the age of 17; and of James O’Neill
himself, the Founder. To the right of the O’Neill
family stone is a slab, with a lamb cut on its top, inscribed to
Jimmie, son of W. S. and Bell Covill, who died March 10, 1872, at
the age of one year, five months and 23 days. Mrs. Covill was
the first white child born in Clark County. She is one of two
daughters of James O’Neill and his first wife. Mrs.
Covill died in the Far West and is buried there.
marker on the foreground, center, marks the graves of Maria D.
O’Neill, the second daughter, and her husband, Frank E.
Darling. Mrs. Darling died in 1897 and Mr. Darling in
1927. Harry Darling, their son, who was buried last week,
lies forward of the Darling marker.
The larger stone to the right of the Darling marker is inscribed with the names of James Douglas and his wife Frances. The first Mrs. O’Neill was a Douglas, one of a large family. The slab still further to the right bears the name of Thomas Douglas, who died in 1866 at the age of 79 years. James and Thomas Douglas are given in the Cooper History as brothers of Jane Douglas, Mr. O’Neill’s first wife.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs