Bio: Ziegler, Alvin Shop Fire (1955)
Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville,
Clark Co., WI.) April 7, 1955
Fire at Alvin Ziegler residence
Smoke rolled from Shop up through all portions of
the residence -
Alvin Ziegler family, 311 W. 19th Street Neillsville, is
still trying to reckon what happened to it in last week’s
fire. The fire in the shop quite thoroughly accounted for the
shop and the equipment in it, but that was not all. The shop
was attached to the house, and the smoke rolled from the shop up
into and through the house. This smoke damage was so
extensive that the Zieglers were finding the effects of it whenever
they later opened drawers, even in the most remote parts of the
of the causes of this extreme damage was that the shop portion had
been insulated with sawdust. The sawdust burned with heavy
smoke and held the fire like punk. When the firemen figured
they had the fire licked, it presently broke out again in the
sawdust. They fought it for an hour.
damage has not yet been adjusted, but an estimate is that the loss
will run to something in the order of $4,000 to $5,000. The
property was insured, probably enough to cover the
The best theory available to account for the blaze ascribes it to a spark struck when a heavy piece of iron equipment was moved on the concrete floor; upon the floor had been spilled a quantity of gasoline, which came from a can, used by the son Gary when he was cleaning the parts of his motorcycle. This gasoline had partially evaporated, when Gary, with help, undertook to move the equipment upon the concrete floor. The scarping of the iron upon the floor is thought to have struck a spark, and the spark touched off the gas fumes.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs