BioM: Mertens, Margaret (1955)
Surnames: Mertens, Sloviak, Gutowski, Hazuga, Weix, Koenig, Slowiak, Heiman
----Source: THORP COURIER (Thorp, Clark County, Wis.) 06/23/1955
Mertens, Margaret (7 JUN 1955)
St. Bernard’s Church in Thorp was the setting chose by Miss Margaret Mertens, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Mertens of Thorp (Clark Co., Wis.), and Mr. Felix Sloviak, son of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Sloviak of Stanley, as they exchanged their wedding vows on Tuesday, June 7, 1955. Rev. Michael Mertens, brother of the bride, performed the double ring ceremony at nine o’clock before an altar which was decorated with baskets of mixed flowers.
Given in marriage by her brother, Hugo, the bride chose a gown of lace and nylon tulle. The fitted bodice, wrist length sleeves, and painted apron effect are fashioned of nylon lace. The bouffant skirt of tulle over net, and satin sweeps into a chapel length train. Fingertip veil of imported illusion is held in place by a tiara of tulle trimmed with seed pearls. She carried a prayer book with an orchid, and a crystal rosary, a gift from the groom.
Attendants were Miss Marcella Sloviak, sister of the groom, Miss Theresa Sloviak, cousin of the groom, and Miss Joan Gutowski, cousin of the groom. Their maize gowns were of creptallette styled with a long fitted torso line and jackets with wide portract collars. The full skirts have a butterfly bustle effect. The maid of honor was Lorraine Hazuga, niece in the bride, whose dress was of lime and identical to the attendants. Jo-Ceil Weix, niece of the bride, was chosen as flower girl. Her dress was of white satin, with a full skirt and Peter Pan collar. As a gift from the bride, their gowns were set off with a white daise necklace and the flower girl wore a gold cross. They all carried white colonial bouquets of daisies, trimmed with maize and lime ribbons.
Robert Mertens, brother of the bride, was chosen as best man. The others were Francis Mertens, brother of the bride, Elmer Heiman, cousin of the bride, and Eddie Koenig, nephew of the bride, was chosen as ring bearer. They all dressed in black tuxedos. As a gift from the groom they were given tie clips and the ring bearer was given a bow tie.
The bride’s mother attended her daughter’s wedding in a green flowered dress which was set off with a corsage of red roses. The groom’s mother wore a pink lace dress which was also set off with a corsage of red roses.
The reception was held at St. Hedwig’s Hall and a free dance was held in the evening.
Out of town guests were from Chicago, Ill., Milwaukee, Colby, Rib Lake, Fond du Lac, Eau Claire, Stanley, Soldiers Grove, Chilton, Madison, and Altoona, Wis.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs