BioA: Olson, Mr. and Mrs. Oluf (57th - 1958)
Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
Surnames: Olson, Tuttle, Dahnert,
MacMillan, Johnson, Daniel, Schwarze, Holt, Dorn
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI.) March 27, 1958
Olson, Mr. and Mrs. Oluf (57th
Former Colby and Abbotsford Residents
have lived in city since 1918 -
Mr. and Mrs. Oluf Olson, who were married
in Colby Township, Clark County on March 27, 1901, will observe
their 57th wedding anniversary today (Thursday) at their
home in Neillsville.
Mr. Olson was born near Oslo, Norway,
February 4, 1871, and came with his mother to America when he was
19 months old, locating at Greenwood, and joining his father who
had preceded them to America to earn transportation for the
family. Eight months later, the Olson family settled on a
homestead a mile north of Curtiss. There Oluf Olson grew to
manhood, attending a rural school in the wilderness for four years.
This homestead farm is now operated by Wayne Olson, a nephew of
Oluf and a son of Oluf’s youngest brother, Otto.
As a youth, Mr. Olson worked in a lumber
camp, taking a man’s place from the time he was 16.
When he was 30, he was married to Myrtle M. Tuttle, daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. F. M. Tuttle, at the Tuttle farm in Colby Township.
The bride was then 26.
After the wedding he took his bride to
Medford, where he worked in a sawmill, riding the carriage from
April 4 to November 13, 1901. Then they returned to the Olson
homestead north of Curtiss. During the next three years, Mr.
and Mrs. Olson operated three different farms in Clark and Marathon
County, and in 1907 they moved to Abbotsford, where Mr. Olson
became village marshal and served as section foreman on the
Ashland-Spencer railroad for seven years.
"I remember," states Mrs. Olson,
"carrying a ladder round the Abbotsford business district each
evening to light the oil street lights. We didn’t have
to put them out in the morning as they usually ran out of kerosene
"We had a jail 14 by 14 feet on the Clark
County side of Abbotsford, where we usually had some drunken
lumberjacks sobering up," he continued. "We never fined them
just for being drunk; but if they got to fighting they had to pay a
fine before being released from jail. The most drunks I
remember having in the jail at one time was seven."
Four strangers came to Abbotsford during
Mr. Olson’s term as marshal, remained on the marathon side of
the village for several days, and one night tried to rob the bank
at Abbotsford. One was apprehended at Merrillan Junction, and after
standing trial in Wausau, was sentenced to 10 years in the state
prison. The men had gotten into the bank without difficulty, but
had been unable to get into the vault.
In 1914 the Olson family moved to
Neillsville and lived nearly four years on South Hewett Street in
the house now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Herman Dahnert, just south of
what was then the MacMillan residence.
During the summer of 1918, they acquired
a home on Court Street in which they have since lived. On
coming to Neillsville Mr. Olson took a position as building
custodian of the courthouse, and as bailiff and deputy sheriff. For
36 years he served in this triple capacity. Since 1950 he has
served as a part time employee at the courthouse, and has continued
Mr. and Mrs. Olson, are the parents of 10
children, two of whom are not living. Francis died in infancy and
Robert died at the age of 25. The living children are: Mrs.
Maynard (Ellen) Johnson, who is teaching in the Wausau school
system; Mrs. David (Barbara) Daniel of Cambria; Mrs. Ewald (Sarah)
Schwarze, Greenwood; Gilbert, Rice Lake; Mrs. Albert (Fern) Holt,
and Kenneth of Neillsville; Mrs. Lowell (Mildred) Dorn, Abbotsford;
and Oluf, Jr., Wisconsin Rapids. They also have 26
grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
All nine of Mr. and Mrs. Olson’s
children were graduated from Neillsville High School.
Taking part in the anniversary today (Thursday) will be the Kenneth Olson and Albert Holt families of Neillsville, Mrs. Ellen Johnson, with the other children possibly dropping in for the evening.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs