Obit: Earl, Fred (1875 - 1956)
Surnames: Earl, Stoker, Cattanach, Johnson, Thompson
----Source: OWEN ENTERPRISE (Owen, Clark County, Wis.) 03/15/1956
Earl, Fred (26 FEB 1875 - 14 MAR 1956)
Death came peacefully early yesterday morning to Fred Earl at his home in Abbotsford where he had been confined by a lingering illness.
Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon, March 17, at two o’clock from the Presbyterian Church in Abbotsford with the Rev. Richard Harrison officiating. Interment will be made at Riverside Cemetery, Withee. In the meantime friends may call at Zink Funeral Home, Abbotsford, until noon on Saturday.
The deceased had attained the age of 81 years, being born Feb. 26, 1875, at Charles City, Ia. At an early age he moved with his family to Black River Falls and Chippewa Falls. When a youth of 26 years he came to Owen (Clark Co., Wis.), working as a lumber grader with the John S. Owen Lumber Co.
He disassociated himself with the lumbering industry in 1915, accepting a position as rural mail carrier out of the Owen Post Office. He served in this capacity until his retirement in 1940 when he moved to Abbotsford. While a resident of that village he actively served it, taking part in civic affairs and as a member of the county board of supervisors of Marathon County in addition to also serving as Marathon County’s surveyor.
In 1902 he was married to Iva Stoker, who passed away in 1933. On May 15, 1940, his second marriage to Edith Thompson, took place in a ceremony performed at Dubuque, Ia.
Surviving him are his widow, two children, Charles Earl, Cedar Rapids, Ia., and Mrs. Louis (Edna) Cattanach, Kimberly; one brother, James Earl, Chippewa Falls, and one sister, Mrs. Ernest (Ellis) Johnson, Spokane, Wash.; and nine grandchildren. Two daughters have preceded him in death.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs