News: Neillsville, Wis. (St. John’s Lutheran Church 25th Anniversary - 1912)
Contact: Ann Stevens
Surnames: Hayer, Eppling, Thrun, Doehler,
Thon, Haas, Hellerman, Brandt
----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) Nov 21, 1912
Neillsville (St. John’s Lutheran
Church 25th Anniversary - 17 Nov 1912)
St. John’s Lutheran church,
celebrating its 25th anniversary and the dedication of
its enlarged and redecorated house of worship last Sunday, also
rejoiced in having all its former pastors present at this occasion
and participating in the festivities. Rev. A. Hayer of
Princeton, who in 1886 founded the congregation, preached at the
morning service; Rev. F. Eppling, now in business at Sheboygan, who
organized the congregation and was installed its first pastor from
1886 to 1890, spoke in German in the afternoon and in English in
the evening of the pioneer work among the Lutherans of Neillsville;
Rev. F. Thrun of Ann Arbor, Mich., who was the pastor from 1892 to
1904, preached in the afternoon; and Rev. Chr. Doehler of Two
Rivers, who served the congregation from 1890 to 1892, preached in
English in the evening. There was also present Rev. L. Thon
of Marshfield and the choirs of his church, Rev. M. Haas of Granton
and his congregation, the congregation of Globe, many of the
congregation from Marshfield and a large number of citizens of this
city, in fact so many attended the celebration that the capacity of
the church was taxed. Wm. Hellerman of Neenah was also
present and assisted in the musical portion of the celebration with
his usual success and the choir of the Marshfield church also
contributed much to the music of the occasion. Mr. O.
Hellerman, principal of the Lutheran parochial schools of
Marshfield directed this choir.
At the time of its organization, St. John’s congregation consisted of eighteen families. It has grown to now number 120 families and the great increase in size necessitated the enlargement of the church just completed. Rev. Brandt and his congregation have worked earnestly to accomplish what good they might, both to themselves and their neighbors, and the high esteem in which St. John’s church is held in this city attests to the success with which their efforts have met.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs