Church: Junction Czestochowa (Gold Anniv. - 1 Jun 1958)
Surnames: Brzostowicz, Kamla, Kaim, Sobczyk, Andrzeiewski, Treacy, Staszko, Symbal, Pudlo, Schwebach, Mueller, Ciszewski, Orlowski, Szymczak, Kulig, Krystyniak, Slisz, Sobieski, Papierniak, Brzostowicz, Barszczak, Karcz, Masalewicz
----Source: Thorp Courier (Thorp, Clark Co., Wis.) 05/29/1958
On Sunday, June 1st, 1958, St. Mary’s Czestochowa parish, located three miles northeast of Stanley, Wis. and five miles northwest of Thorp (Clark Co., Wis.), will celebrate its golden anniversary of the dedication of the Church. A Solemn High Mass at 11:00 a.m. in the church will inaugurate the day’s festivities. The celebrant of the Mass will be the Rev. F. Brzostowicz, who served as the pastor of the congregation from 1914 to 1921 and presently serves in the same capacity near Stevens Point, Wis. He will be assisted by other former pastors, namely the Rev. Jerome Kamla of Knowlton, Wis., who was instrumental in building the new church, Father Ernest Kaim of Junction City, Wis., who did much to improve the buildings and property, and Father Edward Sobczyk of Trempeleau, Wis., who through his shred efforts was able to pay off a large sum of the debt. The sermon will be preached by the Rev. Stanley Andrzeiewski, pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Mondovi, Wis., who guided the people of Czestochowa during the late thirties.
His Excellency, the Most Rev. Bishop John P. Treacy of La Crosse Diocese will not attend due to other commitments, but has extended his congratulations to the people of Czestochowa for their devotion and loyalty to Mother Church and the Diocese of La Crosse. Music at the Mass will be rendered by the ladies choir under the able direction of Mrs. Bernice Symbal.
The history of the congregation dates back to 1906, when the first plans were laid for the building of the original church. In the fall of 1907 when the necessary funds were accumulated, a contract was awarded to Joseph Staszko, a local builder, for the construction of a frame church to seat approximately 100 persons. By Nov. 13th of the same year, the church was completed and the first Holy Mass was offered by Father F.X. Pudlo, then pastor of St. Hedwig’s, Thorp, who also cared for the people of Czestochowa.
In Feb. 1908, the congregation was incorporated under the state laws by His Excellency, the Most Rev. Bishop Schwebach. On the feast of the Assumption of Our Lady, Aug. 15th, 1908, the church was solemnly dedicated by the representatives of the Bishop and Father Pudlo.
From 1907 to 1913, St. Mary’s was a mission church attached first to St. Hedwig’s, Thorp, then to St. Mary’s, Stanley, and later returned for the same purpose to Thorp. During this period it was served by the following pastors: Father Pudlo, Father Joseph Mueller, Father F.C. Ciszewski and Father J. Orlowski.
In 1913 it was made an independent parish and Father Francis Barszczak was appointed pastor by the Most Rev. Bishop Schwebach. He was followed by Father Frank Brzostowicz, and Father Karcz.
For the next twenty-five years the sturdy little parish flourished under the care of Father S.J. Szymczak, Father A. Kulig, Father Edmund Krystyniak, Father Louis Slisz, Father Stanislaus Andrzeiewski, Father Louis Sobieski, Father Roman Papierniak and Father Jerome Kamla.
During Father Kamla’s pastorate, in March 1950 a beautiful church of modern Gothic design replace the old frame building. Though the little congregation contained only sixty families at the time, the church was constructed at a cost of $67,000 and it stands as one of the finest tributes of sacrifice and labor to the people of Czestochowa.
Under the guidance of the succeeding pastors, Father E. Kaim, Father E. Sobczyk, and the present pastor, Father Edward Masalewicz, the parish, though smaller in size, continue to grow spiritually and improve its building and property, while paying off its heavy debt.
The golden anniversary celebration will be a happy occasion for the congregation, especially for some of the original members whom God has blessed with health to live through the memories of the first fifty years. Their Loyalty, devotion and sacrifice to God and Mother Church will be recognized as a reward of their service.
Immediately after the solemn High Mass, a dinner will be served by the ladies of the parish and it is open to the public, at a nominal charge. A delicious turkey and polish sausage dinner is planned. The parishioners will be hosts to the alumni and friends of St. Mary’s Parish.
"We are overwhelmed with joy," said Father Edward Masalewicz, "that God has blessed us with the opportunity to celebrate this joyous event. May it serve as a tribute to the good people of St. Mary’s for their splendid cooperation and sacrifice to God, a beautiful hoem and their loyalty to Mother Church.. May our friends and benefactors share in this joy. We assure them that their support of us is greatly appreciated and their memories live in our prayers as we invoke the blessings of God upon them and their beloved ones on Sunday, June 1st.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs