Obit: Schuette, Elmer (House Fire - 1963)
Surnames: Schuette, Roebuck, Hardrath
----Source: OWEN ENTERPRISE (Owen, Clark County, Wis.) 04/11/1963
Schuette, Elmer (House Fire - 7 APR 1963)
An electrical defect has been charged with the cause of a blaze that destroyed the farm home of Elmer Schuette on route 1, Unity, in the town of Green Gove, Clark County.
The Owen Community Fire Association’s equipment responded to the call at 12:50 p.m. Sunday. When they arrived at the scene 12 miles southeast of Owen they found the two-story frame structure filled with smoke.
It was apparent that the fire started in the basement on the east side of the house. Dense smoke throughout the home, from the basement to the upstairs hampered the firemen in their efforts. Meanwhile a strong southeast wind fanned the structure causing a serious threat to the other arm buildings, which sit off to the north and west - in direct line with the house and wind.
With the water supply diminishing and the threat of the flames breaking out of the structure, Chief Dempsey asked that the Loyal department be called to assist. They arrived with their truck and water tank at 1:47 p.m.
Their arrival with extra water needed brought the flames under control, but not until heavy damage was realized.
Although still standing, the entire interior of the modern home was gutted by fire or heavily damaged by smoke. Practically all the family’s personal belongings and furniture were ruined. In addition, Mrs. Schuette had many valuable antiques destroyed.
Elmer Schuette had left his house about a half hour before the fire was noticed, returning a tractor to a neighbor. Upon his return he and his son noticed the house filling with smoke.
Mrs. Schuette had left Friday of last week for Texas where she is visiting her niece, Mr. and Mrs. Phil Roebuck, the former Sue Hardrath.
Chief Dempsey said the loss, which is estimated at $7,000 - $7,500, is partially covered by insurance.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.