Obit: Smigaj, Stanley L. (1895 - 1961)
Surnames: Smigaj, Glamkowski, Lutz
----Source: THORP COURIER (Thorp, Clark County, Wis.) 03/16/1961
Smigaj, Stanley L. (4 NOV 1895 - 7 MAR 1961)
Funeral services were held for Stanley L. Smigaj at St. Hedwig’s Chapel in the city at ten o’clock Saturday morning, March 11, 1961, Rev. Francis A. Disher officiating. Military rites were conducted by the local American Legion Post 118. Mr. Smigaj, city water works superintendent, suffered a heart attack Tuesday, March 7th, 1961 and died the same day at the Victory Memorial Hospital at Stanley. He had reached the age of 65 years, 4 months and 3 days.
Stanley Lawrence Smigaj was born in Joliet, Ill. on Nov. 4, 1895. He came to Thorp (Clark Co., Wis.) with his parents at an early age and lived on a farm in the town of Reseburg until attaining manhood. He was employed at various times in Joliet, Ill., North Dakota and Michigan and in later years with Western Electric in Chicago.
He served overseas in the army in the First World War and was a member of Cecil Tormey Post No. 118 of the American Legion.
On Oct. 31, 1919 he was united in marriage to Ida Glamkowski at Thorp, who preceded him in death in Sept. 1949.
He helped build the Red Arrow Garage here in 1922 and operated it with his brother Ray until his retirement about ten years ago. He had been superintendent of the Water Works in the city for several years past.
Surviving are two sons, Louis R. Smigaj of River Grove, Ill., and Stanley T. Smigaj of Chicago, and one daughter, Elaine, Mrs. Herman Lutz of Thorp; two brothers, Max Smigaj of Bellewood, Ill., and Ray Smigaj of Thorp, and three granddaughters. One sister preceded him in death.
Burial was made in St. Hedwig’s Old Cemetery. Pallbearers were the Thorp city crew, Ray Zaborowski, Ed Milewski, Corky Jaskot, Walter Boelter, Al Ogurek, and John Huls.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs