Bio: Argyle, Alfred S. (History - 1845)
Contact: Janet Schwarze
Surnames: ARGYLE SHELDON BLANCHE BRISBOIS
----Source: 1891 Bio. Hist. Of Clark
Jackson Co., Wisconsin, pg.
ALFRED S. ARGYLE, superintendent of the business of the York Iron Company at Thorp, was born in Derbyshire, England, July 18, 1845, the son of John and Sarah (Sheldon) Argyle, both natives of England. They came to the United States in 1864, staying some time in Batavia, Illinois, where his mother died. His father shortly afterward settled in Columbia County, Wisconsin, and her father two years later, in 1866. They had seven children, of whom five survive: Alfred, John, Arthur, Annie and Eleanor.
The subject of this sketch came to the United States in the fall of 1864, six months after his parents arrival. After remaining a few days in Chicago he came to Portage and Caledonia, Columbia County, Wisconsin, where he remained twenty years. Next he removed to Black River Falls, and still makes this place his home. While in Caledonia he was engaged in farming, and in Portage worked in the round-house of the Chicago, Milwaukee St. Paul Railroad. In 1886 he entered the employment of the York Iron Company as foreman of their yard, which position he held one year, and then for six months ran their blast engine next superintended all their kilns throughout the country for one year, and then ran the same three months. He next came to Thorp, where he has since had charge of the yard and kilns, superintending the burning of the coal. He runs fourteen kilns, and turns out 43,000 bushels a month. Mr. Argyle does this work on contract, and employs about ten men.
He was married November 11, 1872, to Catharine Brisbois, a daughter of Gabriel Brisbois, of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, deceased. They have four children: Alfred S., Ferus G., Sarah A. and Edith Blanche. Mr. Argyle is a member of the Modern Woodmen.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs