Bio: Lyons, John D.
----Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge, pg. 414
Surnames: Corzett, Lyons, Redmond
John D. Lyons
Posted by Janet on Sat, 17 Feb 2001
John D. Lyons was born in Pennsylvania, and there became a mill worker. As a young man he was married in New York State to Lucy A. Partloe, of Rochester, New York. In 1869. With their two children, Alida and Albert, they came west by train to Madison, Wis. Driving with a horse team and covered wagon, they came from Black River Falls to Neillsville and thence to York Township, where they put up at the house of a relative, James Corzett, who had located in section 32 the previous year. Mr. Lyons soon took an eighty-acre tract of land, devoid of buildings on the Steven's Point road, in section 5, Grant Township. He now had no team, neither any cow, but the latter he soon procured. Like practically all the pioneer settlers he had to work in the woods for a number of winters, but he finally succeeded in clearing up his farm, erecting good substantial buildings on it, and became quite a prominent man in his township.
He was postmaster of the Wells post office, which was located in his own house, and was also a leader in the Methodist Church, known as Visgar Church, which was located on the southeast quarter of section 32, and which he served as trustee. He died in 1889 at the age of about 62 years, having been born May 19, 1827; his wife, born Oct. 8, 1830, died March 27, 1902, at the age of 71. Their son, Albert, is now a resident of Loyal, Clark County. The daughter, Alida, is the wife of M. C. Redmond.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs