Bio: Tuttle Family History
Contact: Stan

----Source: Written & researched by Janet Schwarze, Colonial Military Records of Col. Wm. Douglas as presented in "The History of Waterbury, Connecticut".

Surnames:  Baldwin, Beach, Bronson, Fallendon, Gould, Lewis, Porter, Scovill, Smith, Stewart, Sutliff, Tuttle, Tatterdon, Tucker, Warner, Welton


Our Tuttle Family Military History

Weston, Clark County, Wisconsin



The Revolutionary War


Ezekiel Tuttle (1717-1799) the father of Samuel Tuttle who fought in the Revolutionary War with the 4th Co. of Col. Douglas's regiment.  Ezekiel served with the Connecticut Line 1771-81.  He died at the age of eighty-two and is buried in the Middlebury CT. cemetery.


Samuel Tuttle (1741-1824) a great, great grandson of William and Elizabeth Tuttle and the grandfather of Renselear Tuttle fought in the Revolutionary War with Col. Douglas' regiment.


Service Records


[1]  "Waterbury, Connecticut men enlisted in six of the eight companies forming Col. Douglas's regiment, of which Phineas Porter was major.  Every commissioned officer of its 4th company was from Waterbury.  They were Capt. John Lewis, Jr., 1st Lieut. James Warner, 2nd Lieut. Michael Bronson, and Ens. Joseph Beach, Jr.  There is no roll of its members, but seventeen names are given of those who received their discharge at a later date.  Fifteen of the seventeen were from Waterbury.  They are, Samuel Scovill, Selah Scovill, Selden Spencer, John Stewart, Abel Sutliff, John Tatterdon (doubtless Fallendon), John Tucker, Jared Tirrel, Elihu Tirrel, Samuel Tuttle, Samuel Webb, Daniel Welton, Thomas Gould who was mortally wounded September 15th, Titus Mix who was killed September 16th, John Beach, a sergeant, missing September 15th, Stephen Johnson who was killed at White Plains October 28th, and David Welton who was wounded October 28th.


The militia regiment of Col. Baldwin reached New York about two weeks before the battle of Long Island.  In that battle, Major Porter's regiment, in which it will be remembered, Waterbury men fought in six of eight companies, 'was in the thickest of the fight.'  In the retreat from Long Island to New York, Major Porter is said to have been in the last boat which put off in the fog from the Brooklyn shore.  This was about two months after his entrance into the Continental army as major of the 5th battalion of foot under Col. William Douglas.


About two weeks later, September 15th, an attack was made upon New York.  The 5th battalion, under Col. Douglas, to which Major Porter belonged, and whose 4th company under Capt. Lewis was composed of Waterbury men, the muster roll of which is missing, was stationed at Kip's Bay.  this was near Thirty-fourth street.  The main body of the army was then at Harlem Heights.  The British ships ascended the North and the East rivers, and their fires swept across the whole island, under cover of which, Howe landed near Kip's Bay.  The troops fled panic-stricken.  This was the occasion on which Washington is said to have become so excited that he threw his hat to the ground, exclaiming, 'Are these the men with whom I am to defend America?'  At this moment, Washington, when 'within eighty paces of the enemy and exposed to capture, was saved by his attendant who turned the head of his horse and hurried him from the field.'  It is pleasant to know that one Waterbury man--Major Phineas Porter--was between the enemy and the general, for in this retreat he was taken prisoner.  He suffered nearly three months of hunger and imprisonment, during which time he parted with his knee buckles and other articles of value for food.  Five men are recorded as missing after the retreat, in his regiment.


David Smith, who ultimately was in command of all the militia of the State, was another Waterbury man, who at this time and later, was winning for himself and native town a good degree of respect.  He entered service May 1st, 1775, in the 4th company of the 1st Continental regiment, as a private.  He was next ensign in the 8th company.  We find him captain in 1776 of a company in Col. Elmore's Continental regiment, which took the field in July, under Schuyler, and marched from Albany into Tryon county.  Captain Smith's company was composed of seventy men, nearly all from Waterbury.  His 1st Lieutenant was Nehemiah Royce, and his ensign, William Andrews, both from Waterbury.  This company served at 'Burnetsfield (German Flats)'.


In Wadsworth's brigade was Capt. John Couch of Meriden, with Waterbury men in his company, and our Nathaniel Edwards for his 1st lieutenant.  This company was stationed during the summer of 1776 at Bergen Heights and Paulus Hook (Jersey city); in October, at Fort Lee; in November, sent across the river to assist in defending Fort Washington, where Lieutenant Edwards was taken prisoner.  He did not reach home until November 10th, 1780.  Soon after his captivity he had small-pox and asked for full pay for the time, which was granted.  Ira Tompkins, Solomon Trumbull and David Hungerford, Waterbury men, and of his company, were taken prisoners at the same time".


Tuttle Family pdf file by Jim Tuttle



The War of 1812



None recorded yet.



The Civil War


Albert C. Tuttle


John Wesley Tuttle


William S. Tuttle



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel