BioM: Johnson, Linda J. (1963)

Contact: Linda Mertens

Surnames: Johnson Mertens, Netzer, Meyer, Schantz

----Source: Linda Mertens Scrapbook

Johnson, Linda J. (9 FEB 1963)

The wedding of Miss Linda Jean Johnson and Lloyd Carl Mertens took place at St. Louis Catholic Church at Dorchester Saturday, Feb. 9, at 10 a.m. The Rev. Gerald F. Schuh officiated at the nuptial Mass for the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest L. Johnson and the son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Mertens, all of Dorchester. Mr. Johnson gave his daughter in marriage. Sister M. Tiberia was the organist for the adult choir which sang.

Henry Mertens and Larry Netzer, both of Marshfield, seated the wedding guests as they arrived from Milwaukee, Jefferson, Edgerton, LaCrosse, Marshfield, Owen, Medford, Colby, Rib Lake, Abbotsford, Pewaukee, West Allis and Dorchester and from Chicago and Libertyville, Ill.

The bride wore a gown of tissue taffeta, the bodice of which had re-embroidered Alencon lace on the scalloped sculptured neckline and the taffeta skirt featuring a petal-effect, accented by taffeta bows at the points. The Alencon lace underskirt flowed into a chapel train. The headpiece, which was a crown of pearls accented by aurora borealis crystals, held a bouffant elbow-length veil. Her crescent-shaped flowers consisted of a single white orchid surrounded by feathered red and white carnations.

Preceding the bride into church were her aides--Miss Judy Meyer, Dorchester, the maid of honor, and Miss Mary Ann Johnson and Mrs. Dennis Mertens, both of Dorchester, the bridesmaids. The attendants were seen in red peau de soie sheaths with pleated overskirts. They carried red and white feathered carnations on white fur muffs and wore white fur pillbox headpieces.

Attending the bridegroom were Harry Schantz, Libertyville, Ill., the best man, and Ole (Bill) Johnson and Dennis Mertens, both of Dorchester, the groomsmen.

The 12 o'clock noon wedding dinner was followed by a reception, after which supper was served at 4:30 p.m. All the festivities were held in the American Legion Clubhouse at Medford.

The bride was graduated from Dorchester High School in 1961 and attended Wisconsin State College, Eau Claire for a year. She has been employed at the Paul-Lewis Laboratories in Milwaukee. Her husband, a 1962 graduate of Central State College, Stevens Point, graduated February 5 from the U.S. Air Force Officer Training School at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas and now is an Air Force lieutenant.

Following a honeymoon of skiing in Iron Mountain, Michigan, the newly-married couple will reside at Chanute Air Force Base, Rantoul, Illinois.



The Wedding of Linda Jean Johnson and Lloyd Carl Mertens

February 9, 1963


From left to right: Helen and Ernest Johnson; Linda and Lloyd Mertens; Albert and Sylvia Mertens


(This was written by my 14-year-old sister (and bridesmaid), Mary Ann, as a school assignment.)


February 9, 1963, Saturday, a day none of our family will ever forget, especially me. The day started out very hectic as can be expected. We had company and everyone was running around trying to get ready. Around 8:30 Judy Meyer, the maid of honor came to help Linda get ready. We were very excited and the whole house was a buzzin'. All of our preparations and careful planning was for today and everything had to go right. There was a photographer here taking pictures while we got ready and were leaving. Before we were ready to leave, Rita and Larry came. We had a time keeping our wits then. When Larry said happy birthday, it was the first that I realized it was my birthday.

When it was time to leave I remembered that I had forgot Judy's and my overskirts on a hanger on the door knob upstairs in my room so I had to go back and get them. Linda, Judy, Ole and I went to church in Meyer's station wagon.

At church I had butterflies in my stomach, and I can just imagine how Linda and Lloyd felt.

Going up the isle (sic) first was Aggie, Mrs. Dennis Mertens. Next was me and that isle never looked longer than right then. By the time I got up there I was just shaking. Next was Judy and then Linda and Daddy. I think that Linda looked simply beautiful in her dress. She had made her whole veil and it complimented her ensemble to a T. Her bouquet was a single orchid with feather carnations around it in a crescent shape. I thought the whole ceremony was beautiful. After the Mass was over Linda and Lloyd put a bouquet at the statue of the Blessed Virgin's alter. Then Mr. and Mrs. Mertens left the church. Following them were Judy and Harry Schantz, then Ole and me, and last Aggie and Denny Mertens.

We went in the wedding cars to Medford to the Legion Hall and had dinner. After dinner we went to the Dake Studio to have pictures taken. When we were through at the studio, we went back to the reception. Everyone enjoyed the reception and we got to help open up the gifts. Supper was served at 4:30. I won't forget that supper for a long, long time. For a surprise, Linda had a birthday cake made for me and when they brought it out everyone sang happy birthday to me. I was shocked. It was so pretty. It had 14 candles on and I got them all out with one blow. I wished them all the happiness in the world and they deserve it. After everyone was through with supper, Linda threw her bouquet. I tried to catch it, but didn't make it. Kathy Weber caught it.

Linda and Lloyd left Medford then and came to our place. Soon after that Rita and Larry and all of us left for our place and our whole family was there to see Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Mertens off on their honeymoon.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel